When Apple says you're too small!

I hope you all had a good holiday weekend.

Quick question:

Can you design and sell an item for iPod that would connect to the bottom but not get permission (codes) to do so because they thought your company is too small? A or anything that can be for the iPod. My lawyer said I could but wouldn’t be able to put “made for iPod” on the packaging.

As I understand it, that is correct. You can make any iPod accessory you want, but you can’t put “Made for iPod” unless you pay Apple a licensing fee. Also, note that buying the iPod 30-pin accessory connector is tightly controlled by Apple and its vendors, so you need a licensing agreement for any product that incorporates this connector.

really?

Let’s say I designed a new car charger with a 30-Pin Connector that goes to the bottom of the iPod. Do I need to go through Apple for that if a manufacterure can make it?

Thanks for your response sfpd!

Let’s say I designed a new car charger with a 30-Pin Connector that goes to
the bottom of the iPod. Do I need to go through Apple for that if a
manufacterure can make it?

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. You don’t need Apple to make the product. Any manufacturer can make the product. But to purchase the proper 30-pin connector, all of the connector manufacturers require you to sign a licensing agreement with Apple. At least that was the way it was last year when we worked on some iPod accessories. Our client had to sign a licensing agreement with Apple before the connector manufacturers would release drawings, samples, or production parts of the iPod 30 pin connector.

Thanks sfpd.
I just saw your post today.