When a Lawyer is pertinent: Patent & Contract

My lawyer drafted my provisional patent and almost a year later I filed it myself as his fees are sky high.

I know I will need a lawyer if a contract is involved with licensing an idea and etc; so I know I would need him at that point.

Is it a big deal that I filed it myself?

If he made a good provisional then you should be ok. What you put in your provisional patent app is what will become your full patent application when you pay the filing fees. There will be a lot of inter office comunications, or you hope there will be because no patent worth its salt goes though examination with out some of the claims being challanged. You no doubt will end up hiring another patent attorney in about a year or so, hopefully your “old” one is available and not pissed off.

[quote=“zippyflounder”][quote=“YAYO all dayo”]My lawyer drafted my provisional patent and almost a year later I filed it myself as his fees are sky high.

I know I will need a lawyer if a contract is involved with licensing an idea and etc; so I know I would need him at that point.

Is it a big deal that I filed it myself?[/quote]If he made a good provisional then you should be ok. What you put in your provisional patent app is what will become your full patent application when you pay the filing fees. There will be a lot of inter office comunications, or you hope there will be because no patent worth its salt goes though examination with out some of the claims being challanged. You no doubt will end up hiring another patent attorney in about a year or so, hopefully your “old” one is available and not pissed off.[/quote]

thanks zipp.

That’s what I figured. He would be upset. You would do the same if their firm bill you for REMINDING you to file the patent application via email. The secretary worked like 20 minutes and charged $50 on top of the thousands I layed down. That would mean their secretary earns like $150 an hour!!! I believe he charged like $450. Nobody likes to be taken for a ride.

dont know where your located, but my patent attorney is in seattle, aces folks.

Zipp,

what do you mean by ace? I’m in the east by-the-way.

aces = aa = best starting hand in no limit texas holdem=supper goodness.

I assume you wouldn’t attempt to draft your own utility patent.
Maybe a design right?
There is not much challenging in that!

I have drafted my own, using the uspto online epavs system. I also have 20 plus years experiance in dealing with utilty patents from the standpoint of filing, attacking and defending so I have a fair grasp whats what. My advice is like on mythbusters “kids dont try this at home, we are experts”… :laughing:

You do not have a need for lawyers anymore?
Someday I would like to get to that point.

Oh i still use them on important stuff, like new technologies but for most “products” its not worth the money. Important is when you hae a piece of new core tech or a fundmental new way of doing something, the rest is just lilly guilding.

I’m sure my lawyer will ace me on the next invoice. I spoke to him last week via phone for 20 minutes + an email which I’m guessing should be around $200+.

Thanks zippyflounder for your responses.

No problem.