What's next step?

I have couple companies that I really like to work for.
I sent my packages any way even though they did not advertise the openings.
I haven’t heard from them and now…WHAT’S NEXT? :unamused:

Should I wait and re-apply? or should I call them and ask?
Oh, I graduated at the top in my class and have strong folio.
Any advice will be great help… :slight_smile:

first of all, i advise you not to consider yourself as the top of the class nor should you ever think that you have the strong portfolio.
even if you think it is true…

you are NOT competing your small number of classmates anymore.
you are out in the open, competing people all over the place who will be far more skilled and experienced. and you do this for ONE opening…

this job search game requires everything you got: strong portfolio and the top of the class only satisfies the minimal requirement.

having said that,
just sending out samplers will get you no-where. they will NEVER respond.
the reality is that they get samplers like that everyday.
you need a strategy with luck.( don’t ever under-estimate the luck factor in job search. )

I suggest you research the companies that you wish to work for.
find out whoever is already in the company ( try alumni net work) and
get your samplers to the RIGHT route so that it actually ends up with a manager…
while doing this, keep sharpening your skills.

I do wish you good luck in your search… it can get frustrating at times,but you chose to be a designer… we all go through this phase of job search.
Consider this experience as a part of becoming a designer…
Good luck.

first of all, i advise you not to consider yourself as the top of the class nor should you ever think that you have the strong portfolio.
even if you think it is true…

you are NOT competing your small number of classmates anymore.
you are out in the open, competing people all over the place who will be far more skilled and experienced. and you do this for ONE opening…

this job search game requires everything you got: strong portfolio and the top of the class only satisfies the minimal requirement.

having said that,
just sending out samplers will get you no-where. they will NEVER respond.
the reality is that they get samplers like that everyday.
you need a strategy with luck.( don’t ever under-estimate the luck factor in job search. )

I suggest you research the companies that you wish to work for.
find out whoever is already in the company ( try alumni net work) and
get your samplers to the RIGHT route so that it actually ends up with a manager…
while doing this, keep sharpening your skills.

I do wish you good luck in your search… it can get frustrating at times,but you chose to be a designer… we all go through this phase of job search.
Consider this experience as a part of becoming a designer…
Good luck.

The most solid advice you will find on this board!

Thank you for your help. :sunglasses:

WMBO

A few thoughts…

Have a good story, or better yet a good reason to send your work. If they didnt advertise a job, you have to ask yourself the question “why should they look at this sampler?” What is the initial reason.

here we go.

1. Have that reason to contact them. ie. Traveling through the area, like the industry they are in and want some input on what you can to improve. Think of it as approaching a girl/guy at the bar, you’re not gonna just go up the person and say “Here I am” have a good pitch.

2. Always call first. Always. This gets you a contact, a destination for your sampler. Get multiple contacts, HR, Design, etc.

3. Send away. Seems as though PDF’s are the way to go lately. Have a nice little package. Coverletter/opening page. Resume and 5 or so pages. 8.5 x 11 so they can print if off. contact info everywhere.

4. Give it a few days and follow up, but again, with an intention…ie. going to be visiting soon. Ask questions…the best one are always open ended. (not a yes no answer)

5. Repeat this step every couple weeks. Show new work, ask for a test project, no pay, just to show your potential, we call it spec work, sometimes it pays out, sometimes its just a portfolio builder.

6. Strategy is key as said before. Plan it out, almost a timeline of sorts. Expect it to take almost 3 months to actually land an interview. It seems like a long time, but if spread out over 3-5 companies the time goes quick.

7. Rate the companies from fav. to not so favorite. Go from the bottom of the list to the top. That way you can try your strategy with others first and learn from your experiences in order have a better shot at your favorite.

8. Network, network, network. if you dont know what that is, do a search, it is by far one of the most important parts of finding a job. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for a few good friends and a couple of phone calls.

hope this helps, its late, I’m rambling, good nite

I’d say the first thing you need to do is lose your arrogance (“I graduated at the top in my class and have strong folio”), sometimes you have to start some place else before you can get to the company you want to work for. I may sound like a dick, but I went through the same thing when I came out of school. Good luck.

it’s all about being in the right place at the right time nothing more.

Don’t forget to check the obvious avenues of finding a job. Careerbuilder.com has found me some serious leads in the past. The current position I am in was a careerbuilder response that ended up offering me a position after 2 interviews in two days after replying to the ad.

I know that lots of designers have an ideal setting / place they want to work. If you just got out of school you may not have this luxury. Experience is far more important and may, down the road, get you where you want to be.

or just do something completely ridiculous like send them your cv on a piece of toast … :wink:

\

www.freelanceforum.co.uk