What would you do if you didn't do what you do now?

I worked as a lighting designer my senior year and for a few months after graduation. It is certainly fascinating and there is always something new and different to consider with every project because lighting design has so much to do with perception. I also really enjoyed studying architecture and interior spaces before coming up with a lighting solution.

Anyways, I’d be a photographer if I wasn’t doing what I was doing now…which is kind of like chasing light I guess.

That’s easy. Rockstar. Still working on it in my spare time.

www.myspace.com/poweroftimemusic

My list (not necessarily in order of preference):

• High School Art Teacher
  • Park Ranger
  • Bar / Tavern Owner
  • Pilot

You can’t have one without the other.

The park ranger idea sounds cool. Don’t do architecture! The practice of architecture is so different from the fantasy world you live in during architectural studies.

I think opening an art and design based bookstore and coffee shop would be awesome. Maybe sell some nice designer products also. Ideally it would include a gallery for local artists to display their work.

1. musician
  2. modern dancer
  3. doctor

Burger jockey… nah probably photographer and/or film director (extreme sports videos, ads and other fast pace stuff, no dreams of hollywood here)

I am reminded of my early love for dance whenever I see the wonderful moves that the breakers and body-poppers of today can perform. (I fondly remember hanging out in our folk’s garages with our brighly coloured sportswear , a tiny piece of lino and our electro tapes constantly playing on our crappy ghetto blasters! )

I’d be a helicopter pilot, and preferably work in the heli-ski industry in BC. Though I’d probably have to work on the blue bird days I could also get a few free days in snowboarding somewhere. A couple days out there would beat a whole season in Ontario, hands down.

Or, an Art Auctioneer on a cruise line. A friend of mine did this and though you work your ass off you can make a lot of money. The upside is that you only work on the days the ship is at sea and get to go exploring when at port. I love to travel so that would work out great.

I would buy an old gas station and sell vintage cars and furniture there.

That is definitely something I have always wanted to do. Maybe be able to find time to work on my own product design. Basically it would be a central hub for creatives who use coffee as fuel. Good Music, good coffee, good design, good company, is there anything better?

Syd Mead or some other future visionary :frowning:

Love to meet up with you guys in a coffee-shop…In Holland maybe?

T

Im thinking talk show host. thats right Jay your lucky im a designer otherwise instead of “im with coco” shirts you might read “im with crewkid”

What would I do if I didn’t do what I did now…

I actually quite enjoy what I do, so I would have to say that I would make a LOT of money doing what I do now.

What would I do if I didn’t do what I did now…

Micro brewer.

Can I work as a taste tester?

I’ll take one of those, too.

Ha! Sure. I’ve been brewing out of my house for a few years and would love to ‘go big’.

Anyways… It’s an easy and fun hobby. Everyone should try it, at least once.

That would work too. I love me some hoppy micro beer.

Guru, what kind of set-up do you have for that? A purchased kit or something more complex? Sounds interesting during these tough times to brew your own.

My GrandDad ran a little ten-table hotel restaurant next to the railroad station in Paris, Illinois back in the Fifties. From the age of about eight years old I used to get hauled down to help out my Grandmother; water boy, busboy, cleaner-upper, potato peeler, that kind of stuff. All through college I either worked in the kitchen of our frat house as the short-order cook, and at a local steak house as a as a prep cook (with a remote idea of becoming saucier). But by the time I graduated from school I hated anything to do with food service. I even hated eating at restaurants.

So maybe I’m nuts, or it’s wanderlust or something, but what sounds like fun right now is a small Mobile Restaurant. Not a Taco Truck, or a Catering Truck, but a sit-down restaurant, with kitchen, based on something like a forty-foot trailer, with pop-out seating areas, and a canopied, drop-down side deck for extended seating in warm weather. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one.

County and State-fairs, MotorSports events, Car Shows, Music Festivals, would be the perfect venues.

And a Beer & Wine license to sell GURU’s Micro Brew… …

No, food service is insanity. Yeah, that’s it, I’m definitely, certifiably, nuts… . .