What were "Product and Environmental Design" programs about?

This is a question that I’ve been brewing for some time. Months ago, I was trying to do some research of the history of my program (Purdue Industrial Design). There are tiny bits here and there, but almost nothing is documented. I found some names in the cache of old yearbooks that the library keeps as well as board of trustees records from the 60’s and 70’s, but not a lot to go on.

One thing I did find was that our program used to be called “Product and Environmental Design”. This weekend at conference, I noticed that Doris Wells-Papanek’s credits also listed a Product and Environmental Design Bachelors from somewhere in KC. I didn’t realize there were more than one. (the Papanek/environmental/Purdue connection is not lost on me, just didn’t know how far it all went)

Anyway, since I can’t find a lot about the discipline under this nomenclature, I thought I’d ask here. Can anyone tell me the philosophy that went along with this? (was it just Victor Papanek’s thing?) and how did programs with this title differ from ID as we know it today?