What to do with unused Pro/e, Creo? Help!!

To make a long story short, I had a client that wanted me to learn and use Pro/e. Pretty large task and I don’t have nearly the time to pick up a new program, let alone a complicated one like Pro/e. Add to that, the work hasn’t exactly come flowing in from said client. I purchased Pro/e from a licensed vendor right around Christmas for just under $6K. I’ve opened the program once and closed it after a few minutes. That’s as much as I have used it. Asked the vendor if I could just get a refund and they declined.

So what do I do now?! Seems I can’t return it and how do I go about trying to sell it off? Where would I sell the license? Ebay? My concern is that their registering system (which is more difficult to get through than the BAR exam) would create programs for the buyer.

I’m even considering taking this issue up with my credit-card and getting them involved.

Any suggestions? Please!!

Well here is another kick, you cannot sell it on ebay or to anyone.The vendor prevents this when you try to transfer the lic after the point of sale. If you read your contract the only way you can sell it is if your company changes ownership and you are no longer a controlling partner, or if you outright sell the company. The you can transfer the lic for a fee.

There have been some people who have taken this to court and won, in particular one case against ALIAS. Now this is what happens in the US. If you are in Europe the courts seem to favor the purchaser more and the contract is considered to be negated in the particular area that relates to resale.

Chevis.

Message to PTC, what a continuous scheme you are running. Echoes through everything you do.

It’s not just PTC… Solid Works / AutoDesk have the exact same policy. Not sure about any other company, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they all did it.

Lo for the days when all a designer needed was their brains, their hands, vellum, pencils, triangles, T-squares… … and erasers.

I’d say it looks like you ought to be spending more time with Pro-e. By the time you mess around with trying to sell it you’llprobably have as much time invested as money. And we all know time is money. Best you might be able to do is write it off. :unamused:

You can definitely write off a large percentage of the investment in the first year, you also can look at “leasing the seat” although you kind of need to do this behind close doors as PTC dosent like this, although it is not stated in there contract…

Yeah, I thought about that after I wrote it. It has been a long time since I left PTC behind, but I still have not forgiven them for the bad experience that is was dealing with them and their convoluted software.

If all you had it open for was a minute, you got off easy. Time is money, time spent getting your mind bent into the shape that Pro-E requires is time you will never get back. Time and money spent getting tutored in how to use that “program” is only digging the hole deeper.

Sorry you gave them your money, hope your credit card company can get it back for you.

… time spent getting your mind bent into the shape that Pro-E requires is time you will never get back. Time and money spent getting tutored in how to use that “program” is only digging the hole deeper.

Amen.

There oughta be … universal software. Oughta be… … . . I’m sure I’m not the only experienced designer that was skipped over for a position because I wasn’t fluent in the particular latest-greatest Rev of XYZ software. Especially troubling back in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Autodesk products were a staple at the time although “3D” was just getting started… I bought into 3DStudio at the recommendation of the Autodesk dealer with the understanding (his) that it would do solid modelling… of course it didn’t, but how was I to know at the time? I’ve had a healthy distrust of the VaporWare industry ever since.

Really not sure what my options are. Actually, it appears I don’ t have any. Rather, I’m “out” $6K. But rest assured, I have a CAD package I have no clue how to run and can’t even return it OR sell it. Nice. I’ve only heard of this kind of situation happening to Ferrari FXX owners.

I mean, seriously, I OWN it. I should be able to do whatever I want with it and that includes selling it. Unreal.

Actually, you don’t really “own” the software, you just “own” the right to use it per the license agreement. It’s an IP thing. Without those agreements, there would be nothing keeping folks from selling their old versions of the software when they get a version upgrade.

I know it’s frustrating, but it’s good software (I use both SolidWorks and Pro/E). But it does take some time to learn. In the future, I would suggest having the client lend you a floating license. That’s what I’ve done in the past. That way I don’t have to buy it myself – I act as a contractor for the client.

Good luck.

~w~

McNeel’s Rhino3D EULA:

Rhinoceros (Rhino) is owned by TLM, Inc. d.b.a. Robert McNeel &
Associates. Rhinoceros is protected by copyright laws and international
copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties.
Rhinoceros is licensed, not sold.
Therefore, you must treat this Software just like a book or any other
copyrighted material (e.g., recordings or film). You may make archival
copies of the Software. You may not distribute any portion of the Software
or materials accompanying the Software.
No more than one person may use the Software at any one time. You may
freely move the Software from one computer or location so long as there is
no chance of the Software being used simultaneously at more than one
location.
Educational, Educational Lab, Not For Resale, and Not For Resale Lab
licenses are not transferable.

I read that as, single user license = transferable.

Yes transferable from computer to computer, but not from owner to owner… although it is somewhat an ambiguous statement, and in a court of law a poorly defined contract favors the person who signed it not the one who wrote it.

you might possibly spin off a company and sell the license with the company name.

Or possibly lease the computer and license to a designer or engineer that needs one. 20 USD is not out of the question if it has a surfacing license and advanced assembly too.

Funny that you replied, Bart. I was actually looking at design-engine for training since I have no choice other than to keep the software and somehow, some way find the time to get properly trained.

There is a lot of money to be made for a product designer running Creo companies have a hard time keeping ID’ers once they get trained up. It’s not hard to be in big demand.