What makes a DIY designer toy?

Hi,

I just made something which resembles a DIY designer toy a bit. I like it, but looking around gives me the impression that all DIY designer toys look relatively like a ‘normal’ human: they al have arms, legs, body and had. Pretty boring if you ask me.

My question: what makes a DIY toy cool/interesting?

I don’t know if this is somethinh easy to answer, but I’ll give it a go!

I’m not entirely sure of what you’re asking, but it made me think of this:

It has no clearly defined head. Hilariously cute too.

haha, nice!

It’s more dat the DIY dunny’s, munny’s etc. Al still relatively look like normal humans: arms, legs, body, head, neck etc. I thought why not make something different? But maybe most people like that about the DIY. So wondering if there would be any interest in a DIY toy which is more abstract.

Did u meant those Hong Kee’s type ?

CHeck out these!:

http://www.matthijskamstra.nl/blog/index.php/2007/07/28/urban-papercraft-phil-toyz/

I’m currently sending one of my own design out as a teaser.

DIY toys are at their best when you have a super undefined use, or an under-defined form. The later will normally be too boarding and people in general lack imagination to do really run with something like that. But the munny’s have a balance of vague and recognizable so anyone can do something with them. The best ones always will brake away from a “normal” use. If you have seen the Bee munny that won the first munny kid robot competition a few years ago it was the only one that deviated from the normal orientations of the figure.

Hi Carl thanks for the link,

My original question was more about the munny, Qee’s etc. but the papercraft stuff is also interesting. In some way it will probably should have similar characteristics like the munny’s. De pictures on your link didn’t work on my computer though. Is Matthijs Kamstra Dutch?

Maybe I’ll build something like this one time.

Hmm… interesting. But still hard to discribe, but I understand what you mean. My idea is a bit more abstract than the munny’s.
I’m going tot take a look at the bee munny.