what is your job?

i assume this has been posted, but… what is your job in the field of industrial design. i’m really thinking about going back to undergrad for ID, but would like to know exactly what specific types/kind of jobs are out there.

thanks!

I design seasonal (Christmas, valentines, Easter, Halloween) Packaging for Mars Chocolate US. I work with a team of Packaging engineers in development of structural packaging, novelty items, merchandising, and art direction for each season. I am currently the only ID in the group as our other just moved on so I also support our other core brand teams meaning M&M’s, Snickers, Twix, Dove, etc…

I’m a freelance footwear designer, working across all categories of footwear. I have a degree in footwear, but you can also get into the shoe design arena with an ID degree.

The Design Process page on my site explains a little bit about how I work.

http://www.shoedesign.co.uk/design.htm

I’m Design Director for a business unit at a large, predominantly footwear, corporation. I set establish design languages, set design direction, research consumers, collaborate with innovation team on advanced concepts, manage the design process, grow/build/mentor the design team, establish product goals and best practices, present to upper leadership team as well as retailers, collaborate with brand design and marketing on our brand voice/ POP/ PR/ and packaging, and also design some shoes…

Outside of that, I am admin here, I contribute to core77 in other ways at times (author/ event producer/ consult) and I do freelance concept work in automotive/transportation, housewares, and CE.

I design kayaks and canoes for a major watersports company in South Carolina. Basically focus on developing the deck styling and ergonomics, creating the visual brand language for each line of boats and managing projects.

On the side, I design bicycles for Blue and have my own company created to sell the world’s first digital bicycle mirror, the Cerevellum. (www.cerevellum.com.)

jov777,

I have my BS in industrial design and am currently an industrial designer at a small medical device firm in South Florida.

I design surgical instruments used in spinal surgery, this involves research, observing surgical procedures, concept generation, mechanical design, CAD modeling, and working with engineers and machinists on a daily basis.

I find this job to be very satisfying both personally and professionally. A job like this can have quite a steep learning curve, however, at the end of the day, I find it very rewarding to be involved in creating a product that has such a profound impact an individual’s life.

Hope this helps,

Ron

I design medical devices.

I started with primarily diagnostic devices and some radiological but now I am with a smaller company that focuses on infection control. I thought I was thrown into the fire working for consultancies but here they hit me with with a largely expanded role.

In addition to typical VOC research (ethnography, interviews, etc.), I am also responsible for safety & efficacy, stability, quality, sterilization and clinical testing. That includes following ISO 13485, writing brochures for IRBs and I wrote my first 510K for the FDA.

I also do the preliminary work for marketing/branding/packaging with the field work with out upstream marketing group. This eventually gets finalized later with our downstream marketing group.

Concept work is essentially the same but they want models/prototypes in front of customers within a week or two after seeing concept sketches. We do have good staffing for that.

I am do much more on the back end too. As mentioned above with the ISO and quality testing, I am responsible for the design controls, design inputs and design plan. Which really means a whole lot of paperwork to cya in case the FDA comes a knockin’.

Hey everyone, thank for the replies. I love reading them. Does anyone know if I can move this discussion to the “general discussion” section? I think it would fit better and get a lot more posts if it was posted there.

Thanks

Moved

I’m a senior designer at LG. The tiny New York office I’m at operates very much like a consultancy in that we work on brand products throughout the various business units and don’t focus specifically on one category.

I am the designer for Stelpro Design in St-Bruno, Canada. We are the biggest producer of electric heating in Canada and we’re diversifying into ventilation and controls now. I started here three years ago when the company realized they would have enough work for a staff designer because of the need for design that exists in the ventilation and controls business that isn’t there in electric heating.

Because our company is still small, I’m implicated in the product development the whole way through the process. Ideation, market research, meeting with installers, lots of drawing, CAD work, meeting with electronics engineers, testing, prototyping, meetings with production. Very diverse and challenging.

I’m am a designer at a consultancy in the Twin Cities… Currently focused on designing an interface for a consumer product. For this project alone, I do everything from research to conducting VOC interviews, sketching, UI prototype development, testing, industrial and graphic design.

I run my own design consultancy, The Directive Collective. It’s a unique kind of consultancy in that while focused on footwear design, we operate in a more strategic, integrated manner and offer a full selection of creative services from branding, positioning, design, development, packaging, to graphics as well as POS, web and marketing. Most footwear consultants mostly just do design and are far removed from the brand positioning and development work let alone the marketing aspects.

As such in addition to working with larger brands, a lot of our clients are start-ups and we work with them from the initial brand concept right through brand positioning, identity design, footwear design and development packaging, marketing, etc.

It’s a great job and the best part is the diverse range of footwear and brands I work on. Everything from women’s heels to snowboard boots, mens casual, outdoor, performance sport, you name it. I also often do collateral work for footwear and lifestyle oriented brands including catalog design, POS and marketing concepts.

R

i am the senior designer with an international furniture company. i specialize in furniture design, product development, brand development, and engineering. i have a bfa in industrial design.

i am one of the original designers in the start-up of this department and have established the reputation of my employer as a true competitor in this industry. our products are now sold all over the world. i design a full range of furniture and houseware items for many genres and markets, usually ground-up. i work with our engineers and manufacturing in china and indonesia on a daily basis to produce our designs. i attend client and buying meetings, go to design shows pertaining to our products, and guide other designers i work with. i also educate the company in our market, products, and design.

it’s a challenging position with extreme demands. i draw on my past experience and my excellent designers to grow beyond our recent successes. it’s not as ‘glamourous’ as some previous positions i’ve had but it has been rewarding. part of the thrill has been living in california.

Goat herder

Really!?!?!?! That’s awsome I am a part time goat herder!! :smiley:

As a freelancer, I get called to put out fires mostly. Consistent clients will bring me in also during initial brainstorming sessions to mix up their gene pool a bit if they’ve been feeling stale. But mostly, when “stuff” hits the fan and a lot of good work needs to get out the door to the client quickly or emergency problem solved, I’m the go to guy. Especially when all the fulltimers are on vacation so I pretty much stay on call.
I also teach the sophmore ID students at the local university, giving them a very strong foundation on the fundamentals, a “real world” work ethic and mentality, and exposure to all of the things that I wasn’t exposed to in school and had to learn the hard way.

My job is looking for an internship/job, and deciding how soon to graduate.