What is the best resource for material lists and descr?

Hi, I am a design student graduating soon and I am wondering (1) how important material knowledge and manufaturing process is to the industry and (2) where I can get my hands on a good source for that information. Thanks!!

Most places don’t expect a graduating student to have a firm grasp on the subtleties injection molding, or the strength of a living hinge, but they do expect you to pick it up on the job.

I had a hard time finding my “ideal” job out of school, so I got a job at a not so great design firm. Here I asked as many questions as possible about projects, and quickly built a portfolio that allowed me to get a job at a great design firm, where I stayed for about 5 years. There I just kept the same attitude, asked tons of questions.

In these situations, there are often senior designers who will take you under their wing, if you are willing to do some grunt work in exchange. I also became buddies with the senior engineer at the firm.

So, I guess my advice would be to look for real world opportunities to gain knowledge vs. book learnin. Get humble for awhile, and expect to not be an expert.

I think this may be the best way to get a real working knowledge base sp that you can begin to challenge, and push how things are contructed. That help at all?

WHEN I NEED SOME INFORMATION ABOUT MATERIALS, THERES A WEB PAGE www.matweb.com , WHERE YOU CAN FIND TECHNICAL INFORMATION, A LOT OF MATERIALS AND ALSO, YOU CAN LOOK FOR A MATERIAL YOU DONT KNOW, JUST WRITING THE ESPECIFICATIONS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

I HOPE THIS WEBPAGE HELPS YOU SOMEDAY ON YOUR WORK.

BYE