what is a polymer "webcoat"?

does anyone know what a polymer webcoat is? see Alternate Light Forms at http://stevenhaulenbeek.com/portfolio.html for an example of the material. apparently it’s a spray-on procedure (i’m guessing over a vacuum form). George Nelson’s Bubble lamps are also said to use the same process, and i’m told there’s only one manufacturer in the US who does this. the material remains somewhat flexible after it cures. i’ve never seen this stuff up close, and this is all the information i have on it.