What does your schools 3D curriculum include?

In my program, both the trans and product students must take 1 semester of Rhino and 3 semesters of Alias.

This seems like a problem in the curriculum because it seems like the only ones who will ever use Alias outside of school is anyone going to a big auto manufacturer.

Of all the trans and product places I’ve been or anyone I’ve spoken to, a lot of places don’t run Alias because it is too expensive for the company (20k a copy?), so they run more Rhino, Solidworks and 3DS. Our school is supposedly in the process of adding Solidworks which would actually be beneficial to many of the students who will never use Alias in the working field, but realistically I don’t see it being added before I graduate, so I am planning on taking a Solidworks course at a community college and learning 3DS on my own.

I just think 3 semesters of Alias is pointless since many of us will never use the program for a job, and that its hurting many of the students who want to learn more commonly used programs for trans and product jobs.

Students at the school I teach part time at get two quarters of Solidworks, one AutoCAD and one of Alias. There is also one design class and one elective where Solidworks is required.

At our product design office we exclusively use Autostudio and Pro Engineer. So I wouldn’t say it’s worthless - but less common because of the price and training required. The flip side is Alias is one of the most powerful surfacing tools out there, and can produce some great results. (Not to mention 2008 has a really strong real time rendering engine that with a powerful graphics card will rival or beat most of the stuff you’d crank out of Photoworks)

Solidworks is a pretty straight forward program. You could easily teach it to yourself if you have a decent understanding of CAD just with online tutorials and the included documentation. My school taught Cobalt, so I took it upon myself to do all the required tutorials for class, then teach myself Alias and Maya on the side.

what school do you go to exactly?