What does a IDer do(literally)?

What particular tasks does an Industrial Designer do in a given day, week, month or year. As with any job there are good and bad parts, things that are fun and things that are tedious. I understand what these things are in my job, and would like to learn what they are for the Industrial Designer.

I would expect some different answers between someone at a design consultancy working on medical devices and MP3 players vs a footwear designer at Puma or a furniture designer at Herman Miller. However there are probably a number of similarities as well.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

…i spend most of my time attempting to explain to marketing why a combination catcher’s mask/spaghetti strainer may not be such a good idea for an innovative new product or explaining to engineering why carriage bolts aren’t the best choice to assemble a cell phone…the rest of the time i spend drawing cool-shit…then i drink beer…

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can’t see me, heh - after that I sorta space out for an hour.

Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I’m working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I’d say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

I remember this thread being covered a while back (a year or two ago?)

design.

all kidding aside, you might get more useful answers if you are more specific. i dont think running a minute-by-minute of a workday would help much.

R

found it: I want to know your ID life style !!!

It had been a long time since I’d seen this next to a post:

Thanks yo, I think that post covers many of the questions I’ve had. I wanted to know what the average and not so average days are like for a Product Designer.

I am an engineer who learned about ID after getting my degree. I have had doubts about engineering being the right fit while in college and afterwards. I’ve gotten into and plan on attending college for Product Design. Recently I’ve started a new engineering job in NJ to save up some cash for school, and while it doesn’t have the highs that I expect to enjoy form Product Design, it is a lot better than my past experiences in engineering which has me reevaluating. My practical brain says stick with engineering, but my gut says ID.

My reason for the post was to learn more about the less glamorous aspects of being a designer in case I’m suffering from the “grass is greener” syndrome

Over a year!
Where’d he go?

Whoa! Chris Bangle used to post on the boards?