What do you think about Yves Behar`s Work?

Hey There
Just wondering what do you guys think bout Yves Behar work?
Any comments are welcome.
By the way, heres another mexican design website, for those who might be interested www.godoylab.com

Yves Behar’s work is nice but not more than that and certainly not better than many less ‘celebrated’ designers out there today.

The acclaim he has received is extremely disproportionate to the quality of the work.

Behar is very good at getting his work in magazines so he is viewed by the design community and by the public at large as someone who is bring new things to the world of design. In reality, he is simply more adept at working the press. This should not be confused with being an excellent designer.

Also, industrial design is about getting stuff out there (hence the root word ‘industry’). Designing concepts is easy compared to designing things that are going to be made and sold. Behars designs ‘pretty’ things with very little substance that dont sell well.

Some more commentary on his work and climate of his office here

Funny, I just saw him at “Bay Area’s Best.” No one was clapping for any of the winners, until FuseProject came up. He started clapping for FuseProject and then everyone joined him.

I am not bashing him, this is just what I noticed.

“OK” work, slightly over-rated, just hate that rubbery radio that looks like sh-t and sounds even worse. Another wannabe design star with a day job.

wow, that is impressive. not many designers, if any, have the insight/balls to act this spontaneously to spin a PR opportunity using the lemming effect. i bet most people didn’t even notice he pulled this on them. all they probably remember is that everyone clapped for fuse and no one else. brilliant. he is a master.

much like he spoke of his own work when accepting in DC the IDSA award for the computer turned concept for toshiba. in front of some of the top real world pc product designers from HP, microsoft, consultancies etc. he claimed that the CEO of toshiba said it was the “best thing he had seen in 16 years.” i am not sure how many designers have the ego to say such a thing in front of such a crowd. and we are a pretty ego-centric industry. the take-away is that a large percentage of people now think he is the most innovative resource for computer design in the industry. he should have entered it into the microsoft future pc competition. $125k. he should write a book on his PR techniques. that is one product of his i would buy,

Well, I can’t say no one noticed.

It’s hard not to notice a person who claps his hands above his head. Did I mention he whistled?

I did the questions about Yves Behar cos sometimes I feel that some Industrial Designers just look for being famous and sort of glamorous and by doing this, they really forget about Design in its basic sense, design help us to have a better life, not to have a life surrounded by “pretty but useless stuff” Thats my point. And by seeing Yves Behar`s work I see that he does a lot of nice stuff but nothing that help us to live better.

Why do you guys keep posting about Yves?

There were postings here the other day, posting stuff about him will make his head even bigger!!!

Talk about some proper designers, like the Astro crew, less celebrated but more talented and nicer to get along with!

Two of his best most experienced guys just left to start their own gig in town. Pretty competitve here so it will be interesting if the expereince at FP helps them at all. Last year Johan and Geoffrey left. Some others left recently as well. Turn over seems hign and their are rumors of more. Not sure who if there is anyone experienced left at all. Sounds like a great spring board studio. As a designer you should be looking for a change every 2-3 years anyways. Might be worth trying the the fallout talent.

Vismard,

Nice link to Emiliano Godoy! I am impressed with his portfolio even if it hasn’t been mass-produced.

who left and whats the name of their place ?

Funny, I just saw him at “Bay Area’s Best.” No one was clapping for any of the winners, until FuseProject came up. He started clapping for FuseProject and then everyone joined him.

I am not bashing him, this is just what I noticed.

This is funny that you saw it like that. YB clapped for one of his project, it was the theird one getting an award, and I think he was more clapping one of the Fuseproject designer getting the price than fuseproject …