What do you like/want from a learn to sketch book?

I am looking to work with an amazing industrial designer that has some mean sketching skills on a book. He currently has it published in Korea(n). We’re looking to revamp and translate to English.

Is there anything specific to design/sketch/drawing education books that you feel is currently not being addressed?

Is there a niche that could be addressed better?

If you could see a book showing you anything about “How to Sketch”…what would it be?

I think you get the drift. I am looking for any kind of input you might have before embarking on an endeavor like this.

Sounds like a cool project!

Here’s my idea - include some ways to take an OK drawing and make it a great drawing - some pointers on common things that go wrong, how to spot them, and how to fix. I’ve never come across that in a book before…

Good point Trav, I’ve definetly gotten to a point where I’m throwing down a sketch and I think to myself “this is just not going anywhere” and I’m tempted to crumple it up and start over, but then i think to myself, what the heck it’s already garbage, let me see if I can brin it around with a little more time and thought. Usually that sketch turns put to be the one, or the seed to a train of thoughts and sketches that evolves into the final solution. Once I don’t care about it, I’m almost mentally freed to find the less obvious solution.

It happened enough times now that I can feel I coming on and I know to go with it, but in the beginning it fel more like being half way through a tunnel where you can’t see either end, and your not sure whether to keep going forward or to go back. A lot of sketches stop at that point. If they had just push forward a bit more they would have seen the light at the the other end of that tunnel.

Yeah, so that, in a book though :wink:

that puts it in perspective :wink:

I was thinking of common technical mistakes… stuff you’re way past. “hairy” lines, bad perspective, cleaning up lines on wacom drawings, etc and then a pro could clean it up and show exactly how to fix or trace and improve the drawing

I’ve seen some of the guys do it on the forum - someone posts an OK sketch, then another designer re-spins it and makes it look a 1000 times better.

it would be good for people that hit a wall and have trouble improving past it

Maybe the pros and cons of different media, paper, pens, pencils, etc…

sometimes when I have brain lock (often actually) I use a fat marker and marker paper to throw down some sumi-e like blackwork. Sometimes it works, more often I get weird looks.

Another thing I see a lot of now is sketches scanned in and then set on a light gray background, highlighted with white and one color. Sometimes its done well - User Research by Zach Hastings at Coroflot.com - but more often its not.

I’m always a big fan of drawing or design cheats that help out with scale or proportion. Tricks that help out with perspective or texture. I think a lot of the rest has to be learned through doing.

This guy, in particular, is purely old school. Magic pours from his fingers onto paper. But he has no experience in the digital world. So, it could be an interesting book for a collaboration with someone who has the digital experience.

I’m not sure if I know anyone with that kind of experience tho :wink:

you got my number man :wink:

THIS. one thing that can be a struggle, is picking the correct perspective/view & it seems as though cats that are good have little cheats and tricks to emphasize the more important aspects/details of a sketch…true just about everything is learned by doing, but there is nothing like seeing how someone else does something that makes it clear what you are doing wrong

It would be kinda cool to see some of those old school background techniques, and elements of effective compositions in a sketch, like perspective views and eye paths (attached some samples… hope this makes sense…)?.. and maybe how to use toned paper well?

I’m excited to see what happens with this book!