What defines good pay?

I have seen people on here talk about the fact that designers should be better paid. What defines better pay? More to the point what do you think the salary for the following jobs should be (add some if I missed some). I will try to add some context to help:

Junior Designer 0 - 3 yrs experience: $??K per year
Intermediate Designer 3 - 7 years experience: $??K per year
Sr. Designer 7 - 12 years experience: $??K per year
Creative Director 12+: $??K per year
Owner (consultant)/VP (corporate): $??K per year

Other items to be considered:
How many weeks vacation per year?
Benefits (Medical?, Sick days? Options?)

Junior Designer 0 - 3 yrs experience: $66K per year
Intermediate Designer 3 - 7 years experience: $72K per year
Sr. Designer 7 - 12 years experience: $81K per year
Creative Director 12+: $93K per year
Owner (consultant)/VP (corporate): $108+K per year

Other items to be considered: free lattes
How many weeks vacation per year? 6
Benefits (Medical?, Sick days? Options?) you get taller. you get more ladies and you get to be a baller.

Do you truly believe that right out of the gate you should be making $66K per year?

Mathematically it adds, up, I suppose:

$66K/year = $31.73 per year = ~$60 per billable hour company needs to budget.

I personally expect a larger jump per catagory earlier on in the career…for example:

Junior Designer 0 - 3 yrs experience: $40 - 45K per year
Intermediate Designer 3 - 7 years experience: $60 - 65K per year
Sr. Designer 7 - 12 years experience: $80 - 85K per year
Creative Director 12+: $93K per year
Owner (consultant)/VP (corporate): $108+K per year

this thread is pointless if discussed with figures alone. Geography is a large factor in this discussion.

This topic is very common here, just search…what you want to hear has been overdiscussed.

In consulting, the hourly pay for designers (salary divided by anual hours) is generally multiplied by a factor of 3-5 when billed. Freelance designers usally are multiplied one time.

Also, of interest is the high end of the answers above.

Principles and owners making just over one hundred thousand. Not exactly setting the world on fire here. Do we think that figure iis true?

This is a wonderful topic to explore. But we need to make sure we factor in location. For example a designer working in Kansas City will not (and should not) make as much as a designer of equal talent/experience working in New York.

Not because working in New York is necessarily better, but because it’s wicked expensive to live out there.

A kid right out of school working in the midwest should look to start in the upper 30’s lower 40s.

A designer with a few years under their belt (3-5 years) can maybe expect something in the mid to upper 50s.

10+ years- 75k
20+ years- 90-115k
30+ years- ???

Of course those numbers are based on somebody living in the midwest (kansas City, Milwaukee, etc) and they assume that the deisgner is of reasonable talent and professionalism. Not a superstar but not a total hack either.

Just my humble opinion (after having been humbled by the cold slap of reality after I got out of school)

I just had to, I pulled those numbers out of the air. But i would argue that they might be close, depending on who you work for, where you live and who you are? perhaps???