What are these called?

Something we see more and more today is a sharp(er) edge connecting two rounded surfaces. It’s on everything - the samsonite luggage on the front page, a blender I have sitting beside me, my logitech joystick…

The epitome is BMW’s “flame surfacing” - the sharp lines along the base of the door and the rear bumper of this Z4. What is the official term for those sharp edges connecting rounded surfaces? It’s almost the opposite of a fillet, come to think of it.

I don’t think there is anything offical in design…

I just call them creases. Cool way to get organic forms from strong ortho linework without all of the blobby vagueness.

I figured that since there’s a specific term for a rounded edge connecting two flat surfaces (fillet), that there might be a term for this. Or is a fillet just a junction between two surfaces of different curvature? In that case I guess that fillet might be the right term as well.

Skinny: I think they’re very cool. They make for great organic-technological shapes.

In that case, having worked on the samsonite example shown, I just called it the intersection between two surfaces, when working with the engineer on the project. On the hinged part that holds the wheel it is also the tool part line. Might be on the main housing too, I forget, it’s been awhile.

It’d kind of like a pant pleat

well, if you’re an old-school pattern-maker type (which I was…) you’d refer to them as “breaklines”. an outside “fillet” (edge) was refered to as a “round”. if it was not mathmatically defined, it was referred to as a “blend”.

when trying to fabricate these details by hand their intersection is called a “sonuvabitch”.

awesome…sounds remarkably similar to the name the guy our team doing the proE called them.

Q.V. your post where you complained about needing a spell checker… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help, though. If nothing else, the fact that there are so many opinions on what it’s called means that I probably won’t lose marks whether I call it a fillet, an edge, a blend, a seam, a crease, a breakline…

help me out here Yo… …

how do I post an image from MY hard drive (like I added my avatar) ?

thanks. . .


unfortunately you can’t.

The way I get around it is by maintaining a few core portfolios set to not show to the public.

There are also several free image hosting sites…how do they make money? Volume.

Once you have the image uploaded (somewhere), isolate it in it’s own window {mac- ctrl click, select OPEN IMAGE IN NEW WINDOW from pop up menue), copy that url in the midle of these:

I know, so intuitive.

avatar images from our hard drives are okay…

but not to discussion threads… . … . .


thanks for the enlightenment.

“if it was not mathmatically defined, it was referred to as a “blend”. when trying to fabricate these details by hand their intersection is called a “sonuvabitch”.”

guilty. i wantonly used “blend” in my board days.

If you havent yet tried flickr, you gotta do it now.

You get around 30 Mb a month. And you can even post directly to your blog through flickr.

Japanese call this as Merihari.

As far as I am concerned, we can find a term of our own and say its official. Something like skritz-fritz curves or bongo-dingi dango- bluga bluga connections. Mad man! I am goin’ crazy. Nevertheless, lets keep to the essence of design. Thats my opinion.

I’d describe them as a crease or bevel, but are looking more for the name of the design trend that seems to be promoting that look? Dunno.

No, I was looking for the actual name of that type of intersection/connection. I’m not sure if there can actually be a name for the design trend itself.

whaddup my product-peeps

that would be a ‘scnizzle-fit’ y’all


I prefer seam because most non-designers understand it without further explanation.


Seam usually indicates open edges that come together with a gap. Like a parting line.