Weird painting issue

I was applying clear coat on a model that has been prep with primer and a base colored coat of paint, and the clear coat ate into the base coat creating “peeling orange skins”.

Well, if I didn’t allow the base coat to dry enough, I can understand why this happens. However, I’ve left the paint to dry for days before applying the clear coat.

Other models with the same base coat turned out fine. Only this particular model got screwed.

So what can be the problem? This is the first time that it’s happened to me and I’ve done some models in a hurry without such issue happened to me.

Maybe the surface wasn’t clean because it was set for several days.

Were you mixing the paint yourself?

If so, you may have too much primer in the mix.

No I didn’t mix the paint. I was using Duplicolor cans.

Just wet sand and repainted it, looks fine for now. Still, it was weird that it happened.

Hey guys,
I just tripped across this site while searching materials(Dye) and happened to see this thread.
The problem is most likely that you were outside the window for clear coating. Depending on the basecoat, you have 24-48 hours to clear, then you have to recoat with at least one coat of base before clear coating. The base needs to be flash dry, but not fully cured when you clear. If you wet sand it before clearing, you increase the odds of it happening. I’ve seen quite a bit of this at various shops. I just shot a model for my Nephew using the Dupli-Color cans. It had been sitting for months, shot a quick coat of base and let it sit for 20-30 minutes and then cleared it. Looks awesome.

Hope this helps.

BTW, looking forward to checking out more of this site.
Whish I had found it years ago.
Do you all do intro posts?

Are you working with all enamel-based paints?

You either have to wait over 5 days, or put the second coat on within an hour or so (as stated in previous post) – anything in between can cause blistering or wrinkling.

I see, never knew that.

the spray booth I have access to doesn’t seem to have very good climate control. With temperature dropping, it’s hard to keep the paint from hardening before it gets to the surface.

I use the red lamps to keep it warm for curing, still not ideal.

You say it’s drying before it hits the surface…but the temperature is dropping?
Normally, I’d say try using the next higher temp range of reducer.
Either that or you are too far from the surface you are spraying.
If you are using a turbine instead of a compressor for air, you need to go even higher in temperature range due to the warm air. The benefit of the turbine is no moisture in the air.