Volkswagen's Superbowl Commercial

I was going to put this into Off Topic…but it is just too good to be hidden.

I have my computer set on ‘mute’ 99% of the time, unless I really need it, to avoid bothering office-mates and potentially embarrassing material. Even without sound that commercial made me smile. The kid is a great actor.

Design content: Glad to see the Passat following the design language of WDS and the new Golf/GTI. Its safe, but not too boring, and the silhouette is very Audi A4-upscale from a quick glance. I hear the interior is vastly improved over the Jetta, and the price is very low (for a full-size sedan). The Hyundai sedan seems to be the ‘bar’ for family sedans now; Honda has dropped the ball.

The only thing you missed was the Imperial March playing in the background as “Darth” walks around the house. You can hum it to yourself as the commercial plays, or boom it between your ears :wink:

Here’s the other one

Have you seen the new Jetta in person? I think it might be a less successful design than the previous two generations… Hyundai and Kia seem positioned to make a run at owning the segment. Close behind them I might put the Americans, Ford in specific.

That said, great commercial. It must have been difficult to obtain the ability to use the SW material. Not only did they, but they used it really really well. Hilarious and yet adorable.

What I love about the commercial is it encapsulates a generation. I can picture both myself as a kid walking around doing this and I can see my son doing it (inclusive of the joy it would bring me as the father with the keys).

I haven’t seen the new Jetta in-person; I’m mostly parroting what I read on vwvortex, about the plasticky interiors not being up the high bar set by VW/Audi in recent models.

Likewise.
This is one of the best commercials I’ve seen in years. Perfect.

I prefer the Black Beetle ad. I feel like I’ve seen (or maybe acted out?) the Passat ad.

As for design, I’m worried about VW. The Jetta and Passat are OK, but I think it’s obvious they are trying to market more to the NA market. We saw what happened to Honda and Toyota when they did that. It’s a recipe for short term success and long term failure.

As for design, I’m worried about VW. The Jetta and Passat are OK, but I think it’s obvious they are trying to market more to the NA market. We saw what happened to Honda and Toyota when they did that. It’s a recipe for short term success and long term failure.

Well, VW has taken that lesson to its heart, years ago. And I am pretty sure it wasn’t forgotten:

The first GOLF developed to be a massive sales hit all over the world. But the “hard” Dollar at the time prevented
it from being exportet to the US and coin a profit on it. So VW sold drive trains to Chrysler for the US Horizons
(The french had Simca engines.) and started to look into US production. Result of their analysis was the errection
of the Westmoreland plant for local built and the tweaking of the Golf into the Rabbit to cater to the local taste better.

In the end the Rabbit became an imitation of the Horizon, which originally was a close copy of the Golf, but with
“comfort” added.

The Rabbit never sold in the numbers hoped, because of its sluggish performance wallowy ride and shoddy built quality.

I am pretty sure history won’t repeat itself in the case of the new Passat. That darth vader spot will become a classic
and the car is as timeless itself. Wait until you see it at your local dealership!

mo-i

I’ll reserve until I see it. Bases on photos it feels much nicer than the Jetta, which is maybe the plan. The headlamps seem to taper backward in the top view thrusting the grille out forward to make the front end more dynamic. While the Jetta’s face seems a little flatter with little flares around the lower grille.