Virtual hug needed.

:frowning: Today, I’m tired. Today, I don’t want to be a designer. I just finished a dissapointing quarter at school where once again a final model crushed my soul, and grades (all that money, all that energy ruined by my own self doubt, a vacuum former run amok, and a personal weakness in building appearance models). How can something I love so much hurt even more. I have no question for the group. I just needed to share. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll want to design again.
[/quote]

No one looks at your grade when applying for a job so forgettaboutit.

So you’re not going to be a model maker… I thought you wanted to be a designer. Many designers can’t make great models.

Finally and most importantly, you are in school to learn. Make your mistakes now, that’s how you learn. If you did everything correctly then you wouldn’t need to be in school.

Have fun, push all the buttons, go crazy, get laid, you are in school! I am the president of a design company and believe me, when I look for a new employee, grades do not enter the picture. Grades are usually determined by people I went to school with who could not get a real design job. Model building, who gives a fuck? that’s what SLA is for!

I understand your situation, we have all been there. I remember, it feels like you are drowning and dont know what way to swim (or dog paddle). Truth is, school only gives you a piece of paper that “entitles” you to "call’ yourself a designer. When you get out of school that is when your education starts! so for now, just get that piece of paper, put together a collection of prototypes, ideas, concepts for your portfolio that you are proud of, can get behind and truly show your capabilities. Forget about what the Prof. wants or demands, you wont even remembered his/her name in a year or two. Just graduate and get on with the job!

Being a designer is the best “job” you could ever imagine, one day you are designing glasses, the next trains…!

hope that helps?

forgot to log in when I wrote this.

I don’t mean to down you by any means but I agree to my instructor when he said being a good modeler shows that you have a good understanding and feel for your form.

No one is a good modeler to start with. For me, each model is a new one. Each new model involves a new technique that I have to learn, and thus each model is a learning process. There is not one model I have done that I am totally satisfied with. There is always disappointment and room for improvement. I think you just need to plan ahead and start modeling earlier. Too often I find students’ failure lie in their poor time management. It’s not that you can’t do it, it just that you have not given yourself enough time.

I totally understand your situation! In fact, I think everyone here has had a bad case of the “I sucks” at some point!

I think that just shows that you really care about what you are doing. If you didn’t give a rats ass about how it turned out, you wouldn’t really be into what you are doing. SO fu*k up as many projects as humanly possible in the time you have! I seem to have learned more on my screwed up projects and models then on the ones that went perfect from the start!

I agree with what the earlier replies said about grades not meaning crap all. All they are there for is for the teacher to justify his or her presence. Ok, that’s a bit abstract, but you get my point.

Go pour yourself a glass of Jack, and listen to some Sinatra. Always works for me

Cheers buddy
James

I think that modelling is stressed too much for students. I personally like to build models, I did it in school and I was good at it. If you understand your form you should be able to model it (and it may change transitioning to 3D) in CLAY. Making an appearance model has so many other variables involved that it is easy to f-up. Some people just don’t have the patience or technical skill to make beautiful, impressive appearance models that show everyone how much time you have.

as a student and young designer it is the sketch models that matter way more than the appearance models, esp now in the digital age. Do an intital concept sketch phase and then throw down some loose sketch models before doing some refinement renderings. You will find your understanding of form will increase greatly.

i had the extreme luck to be standing next to Chuck Pelly, founder of design works, a few years ago at an IDSA function in Boston. He told me they where one of the early adopters of digital modeling, but that they had actually moved away from it because the younger generation didn’t know what it was like to feel the model, to understand the proportions in real life. At the time they switched back to doing everything analog until the design was completely finalized, and then having a CAD jockey remake the model virtually. Not sure if they still do this, this conversation had to be like 4 years ago, but it is as true an approach now.

YEAH F—'m. Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I feel energized and ready to be a designer again. I think I’ll print this out and keep it in my wallet for the next time I need to remember I’m normal.

May your Super 77 stick and God bless. :smiley:

Jim Couch (former design director at Fitch) has said often “Fail faster to suceed sooner.”

Too go on a tangent from that, I’d like to share the experience of my worst semester. If you go to my website now (not a shameless plug! I just started my job a month ago!) www.jl-id.com you’ll see the end result. It is the standout project from my time in college. It has a great “story” to it as well because we worked with a company that had never worked with a designer before, and a team of Engineering students from Ferris State University.

Anyway, this is what happened to me. I went home on March 11th for Spring Break, and I ended up breaking my ankle in a sking accident. At that point I could have done one of two things:

A) Withdraw from classes, move back home for 4-5 months and mope around my Dad’s house all day while I watched TV and accomplished nothing.

-OR-

B) Pull my damn socks up and stick with finishing my classes that semester so I could feel like I was accomplishing something with my life.

I couldn’t see myself leaving, so I stuck it out and stayed in college. That entire time I was miserable. I was watching my opportunities to intern during the summer of my Junior year slip away (especially coming back to DuPont) and at the same time I was going through hell just doing everyday things. I figured that because of the pace I kept at school, I would be better off staying in a wheel chair instead of using crutches to get around.
My typical day looked like this:

Wake up, spend 45 minutes bathing myself, get dressed, shove out of my apt. door backwards (scrapping the shit out of the door in the process) and wheel over to the college. Then I would wheel into the computer lab, sqeeze into desk poorly, and start rendering on 1-3 comptuers. Once 3D Max got cooking, I had to go back and forth between 3 computers at a time, and then go out into the commons area and sketch. I couldn’t sit still either, so every 25 minutes I was wheeling off to do something else instead of staying focused.

At the same time, my “instructor” (He sure doesn’t deserve that title) was hassling me and told me he wouldn’t give me any slack for being “temporarily handicapped”. Things came to a boiling point, and when I tried to reason with him and come to an ammicable solution, he said “Fine, I’ll put on the kiddie gloves for you during class.” I had had it at that point. After speaking to my instructor and the Guidance Counselor, I was finally assured that he wouldn’t flunk me without thinking twice because it was his last semester of teaching.

With all of those concerns, I still had to finish a project that was nearing finals and about 3 weeks behind where I wanted it to be. It came down to the last day, and me practically in tears dealing with a bunch of computer fuck ups that left me with only 5 PAGES to my final presentation. I had almost decided to not even show up, but at the last minute I said I would go there. It turned out to be very well recieved in the end, and we were even invited back a year later to do an article for the newspaper.

The point I’m trying to make is this: EVERY OTHER DAY I questioned whether I should have even bothered. I felt like I would have been much happier had I just gave up and went home. But I didn’t, and for that I was rewarded with my strongest project.

IMO, if you care so much that it’s about to give you a stomach ulcer (I should have had 5 by now) then you shouldn’t doubt yourself in the slightest bit as a designer. The people that fail as designers are the ones that brush it off and think at the end they get this “magical piece of paper” that entitles them to a job. Design really is almost a “lifestyle”. If you don’t truly love it then you could do something much easier for twice as much money elsewhere.

You’ll be fine man, hang in there.

To clarify from my last post, the project I was talking about is the filtered water dispenser.

Dude,

You need a hand model on your faucet. Who is that lumberjack?