Virginia Tech-what do you think?

Hi,

What do you guys think of virginia tech ID program?
Do you think VT ID program is worth my money?
Do graduates have hard time finding jobs?

Im trying to decide between VT and UC-DAAP.

Im worry to pick UC since, I think my drawing/sketching skills aren’t that great. :frowning:

why these two only?

have you visited them both?

if not, visit them both. then visit two more.

I haven’t heard anything about VT ID, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have a great program.

Don’t worry about it…they can teach anyone to draw. (As will any school you choose) Don’t base your college choices about what you can do, but rather what you want to do. Good luck!

UC DAAP is an awesome program that offers coop opportunities that make it much easier to get awesome placement.

While I am not too familiar with the VT program, I have seen some good work coming from there. There are a few alums and current students from there on here too. hopefully they will respond.

I’m a VT alum and theres a few more of us on here as well as plenty of lurkers I’m sure.

Since I said a lot about the school in a previous post I’ll post that then you can ask me any questions.

But if you want the short of it - I think VT is a good program, nestled in a great school for a terrific price. You won’t learn to be the worlds best car designer there - but you will learn everything you need to know to be a successful professional - as long as you put everything you have into it.

As a Virginia Tech alum I think VT is a great place to be right now for a couple reasons.

1 - VT is a big university with a lot of great programs including engineering and business - there is a lot of opportunity for cross discipline projects which I believe are invaluable in the real world. During my time at tech I had the chance to work on some really adventurous (but not always successful) collaborative projects. I believe there is a lot of ice being broken around the otherwise young ID department and that in coming years it will continue to improve

2-As a school itself, VT is a great community with an absolutely goregous campus in a fun but quiet mountain town. Oh yeah, and the campus food is AWESOME - a serious consideration for some place you may be for 4 (or 5) years.

3-Bang for the buck VT is still cheaper then any private school.

4-VT has some great faculty including two current IDSA board members. There are top notch human factors and research courses in addition to great facilities (metal and wood shops, dark rooms, rapid prototyping machines)

The thing I can tell you to really think about is this: College is a place where you will spend 4 years of your life. Almost all of these programs will teach you the skills you need, the real question is which community do you want to be a part of? Where do you want to live? Do you have any interest in sports (I became a football maniac during my time at college) Do you hate the cold? If so don’t go to school in Rochester (My RIT-alum girlfriend refuses to believe Rochester is that cold)

So those are all things to consider. I was very happy with the education and experience I had at Virginia Tech (minus the awful stuff that made the news) - feel free to PM me if that sounds like it interests you at all.

I graduated from VT in 2002 and I currently work in Cincinnati where my coworkers are 80% UC DAAP grads. Though I am a Hokie through 'n through and love B-burg, I would probably pick DAAP if I could do it all over again. I’m not sure how the VT program has changed since I graduated in '02, but out of my graduating class, I know of only one other guy in a class of 30 that’s working in design – one!

The best thing UC has going for them is the coop program; and this in INVALUABLE. I learned more in my first year professionally than I did in 4 years at VT. With the coop program you have 2 years of experience before you even graduate.

I really hate to knock VT and absolutely loved my time there, but our field is competitive and you need much more than a degree to land a job. If you are truly serious about ID I would go with UC for the coop program alone (if for no other reason.) We have had many UC interns at the consultancy where I work and they are as involved as they choose to be, contributing to real projects.

Again, VT’s program may have changed alot in the last 5 years - I assume it has improved tremendously! I agree with pretty much everything cyberdemon said and I think VT would give you a great college experience and, of course, awesome football. But if you choose that route I would insist on pursuing internships; and realize this will be an individual effort. I would certainly not discourage you from checking it out. The architecture program is highly reputable and this ladders down to the ID program in some ways. When I was there the program was very geared toward materials and processes and taught the basic toolset needed, but was very light in design process (cognitive) and critique.

Hope that helps? Go Hokies!

(Oh, I am a VT grad and a working designer so I guess it worked out!)

Have to run but if I can add anything to that I would say the VT program is being hugely driven by the students to make improvements - and it’s working. I agree with the fact that it’s an individual effort - but the weakest portions of the program have been continually improving - particularly in regards to drawing, CAD (no more Cobalt), and research.

I agree that internships are a must - and you’ll find that the best students are getting internships - and getting jobs. I’ll also add that this years southern district IDSA winner is a VT student, and that VT has produced national winners who have gone on to bigger and better things.

The changes I’ve seen over the past 4 (I was there 5) years are enough to warrant me saying VT is changing VERY quickly because it’s so young, and it’s moving in the right direction. Some of the sophmores/juniors have posted their footwear sketches on here, and it BLOWS me away that sophmores were cranking out better renderings then 90% of the senior class. That level of improvement will continue, as long as the students continue to push each other which they have been.

More to come later.

Just stumbled across this thread, I would’ve posted earlier if I had seen it. Anyway, I’ll throw in my 2 cents:

I definitely agree with what has been said here, though Virginia Tech is a relatively young program, it is undoubtedly going through some great changes and rapidly improving as we speak. However, I firmly believe that this is a result of what the students want to make of their experience here - like Cyberdemon said, students here are finally taking the initative to take this program into their hands and are determined to make a successful ID career and put VT on the map as well. In my opinion, the VT industrial design program has been in the shadow of its architecture program, but it is now beginning to make a name for itself and we are slowly but surely getting some great recognition which is awesome.

Lastly, I really feel that your experience anywhere depends on your colleagues around you, and this varies with each class of students that comes through. Right now at VT, we have a solid core of talented students, grads, and a couple professors who really feed eachother and push eachother to reach that next level, no matter what it takes. Without this core, it would be that much harder to improve and push yourself. However, when working with people that are on the same page as you in terms of design goals and enthusiasm, great things begin to happen for you as an individual and the program as a whole. Everyone should be seeing some really great things coming from VT in the near future…

There is really a lot to consider when choosing your college, As a fellow VT alum I’ll try to sum a few things up.

When I visited tech’s campus, i fell in love, the place is gorgeous, the people are friendly, you are part of the hokie family. This became a big part of my decision process.

As far as the design department, it wasn’t horrible at the time and it certainly has undergone some major improvements. I quickly realized that tech’s program was one that isn’t going to hand you anything, you’ll get as much as you put in. The established ID resources that other colleges have were not there, so I had to do a lot of it myself. I taught myself additional 3D programs, we pushed to start sketching courses, found my own internships; a lot of the changes that are in place now are because of the students. I know for a fact that another student and myself were driving forces to change what 3D software was taught. Honestly, this is a good thing, because the students are shaping the program to what it needs to be.

UC might be more established than tech and is located where it has many intern and co-op connections and it produces some great students. If you go to UC you might have a little better luck in finding a job. I will tell you this, any student I knew at Tech who worked hard and was deserving of a job got one. They put in the work, and yes it may have taken more than it would have at UC, but they succeeded.

I spent 4 years of my life in Blacksburg, and i wouldn’t change a thing, hell i probably would have worked a little harder. There are no guarantee’s in this world of design and a lot of it falls on you, there are no handouts, no career fairs.