video of Dieter Rams

Just came across this- interesting!

R

I always wondered what Dieter Rams was like. Seems like a nice guy.

Not sure about always following the 10 design commandments. Nor would I want to be a “designer’s designer”. I know I’m different though.

lots to note, his office has real tools, his father worked with his hands, and in my book the 10 comandments of design still rule.

I don’t personally subscribe to his philosophy 100%, but I admire his work and his impact, and the fact that he is bad ass.

I love the modernist glasses!

The vid is a promotion for this exhibition at the V&A in London:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/microsites/cold-war-modern/

I personally find his work inspirational, and His philosophy important when looking for direction in a piece. With ever more considerations to include when designing pieces which interact with people, its essential to balance the art of its direction with its actual working necessity to create a good product.

The ten commandments still apply, but as with everything its a good point of reference. This should be taught in every design school to form better designers so we eradicate shitty half ass products which injure and are of a replaceable form. we need products to work from the get go, and satisfy the user until the end.

Kingred, I want to know you opinion of Georgian architecture. I just feel that is what you are describing in a way.

I agree with saying that things always look the same, that is something that always has drawn me to the futurist designers (coloni) at least it is different. I feel that too much of today’s design is too disposable and lacks any type of longevity. Rams’ reel to reel on his wall still looks cool.

futurist design = longevity? (hardly, i would think. pretty much any futurism looks dated as soon as the real future arrives)

braun minimalism = disposable and lacking longevity? (the opposite perhaps- a 1969 rams design would still be appropriate design-wise today)

georgian architecture = ?? (huh?)

R

what are you trying to say? You seem to be contradicting yourself and all over the design map…

My fav. prof once told me about a very ugly product, “Someone, somewhere, at some point in time, thought that was hot!”. I think that idea works in reverse as well. There will be someday when designers look at Braun and say, “oh god, that is soooo dated”. I’m sure it happened before and it will again.

Is Rams’ design still appropriate because of the integrity of the design, or because significant design figures borrowed from Rams design language recently???..coughIves*cough.

Design language most definitely has a cyclical nature to it. I am in the camp that believes that there isn’t much out there that is truly new. Everything is going to have some kind of influence from those that came before us. Tools like CAD, etc. during the 90’s drove us to blobjects, etc. I would go as far as saying we’re going through a sculpted minimal phase at the moment, influenced significantly by the likes of Rams, but driven by the precision sculpting capabilities of the technology behind them.

you make an interesting point; how the materials/tools involved to create the objects affect the design. I don’t know where to take this at the moment, but will let it rattle around my head and see what i can come up with. surely there are other examples … the spacey forms of midcentury furniture enabled by the introduction of fiberglass production? the rational linear shape of 80’s furniture driven by a global economy and logistics combined with the introduction of RTA/KD products produced elsewhere and shipped? the reintroduction of detail and graphics recently thanks to lasercutters/RP processes?

Of course you can only design (for the most part) what can be made and are limited by your tools. Cyclical nature of design influences/styles of course is also relevant. I wonder if some assesment could be made to link these into the a basis for what is/could be timeless or more relevant from one period to another?

R

I have always seen a link between the tools of the age and the forms that are driven from them. It’s a very symbiotic relationship, IMO. The modernist movement always appeared as though it was designers trying to take the new mass production technologies and give a sexy face to it.

IKEA is, effectively, process driven design.
The new MacBook, CNC process driven.
Already mentioned Blobjects, ties very closely to Alias and Nurbs Surfacing capabilities.
Even most of Loewy’s stuff all seemed to be tied very closely to the new metal stamping processes of the early/mid-20th century, etc.
The Design of the Automotive Industry is, essentially, a visual diary of the progress of Industrial Technology.

I by no means have any formal research behind these observations. But I was always sitting in my design history classes with a bit of a raised eyebrow when everyone was oooohing and ahhhhing over the amazing design and how it seemed that they pulled something new and amazing out of the air…when to me it looked pretty obvious…but that’s the benefit of 20/20 hindsight vision, I suppose.

Put away the jump to conclusions mat bud. I feel that people get influenced by design, like what Rams did, and keep that sort of thing alive. Thus a lot of the things we have are very similar.
I enjoy looking at futurist design because it is not the same, and frankly quite odd.

Ram’s work directly correlates to the Georgian and Neo Georgian architecture in that it has strong emphasis on proportion, clean layout, and it is still used today. I could go on but you didn’t get it the first time so it might not help.

not jumping to conclusions, just trying to understand your points from the little you wrote. anyhow, if you’d like to further explain, that’d be great. we are all open to learning more and hearing different points of view. I didn’t get the Georgian architecture thing, but now that you further explain it a bit, I can at least see where you are coming from. I’m not that familiar with it, so maybe i’ll check it out. I correlate Ram’s work more to the Bauhaus and modernist rationalization of forms, but hey, maybe there’s also a link there to the Georgian…everything is connected in a number of ways, right? :slight_smile:

R