Video of a Last being made?

Hey I was wondering if anyone has come across a video or has a video of a last being lathed out… the wonderful term “last” doesnt allow for easy searching…

If anyone has a link that would be awesome…

no video, but step by step process here. both plastic and metal lasts.

http://www.firstpullover.com/2007/12/last-is-first.html

hope this is helpful!

R

Hey thanks alot R… that does help, but i’d still like to see that darn machine in action… :laughing:

The entire lathing/milling out of the last really is intriguing to me…

What kind of information are you looking for? Depending on the factory, there are two machines used- one rougher and one finisher. Then there are also the other necessary tasks like like grinding off the toe and heel dogs, and installing the hinge.

The Italian firms sometimes show action shots to advertise their products- I’ve found video of a machine band sawing the v-cut hinge probably two years ago.

Look up “shoe last” - you’ll still get a lot of irrelevant links, but it’'s better.

I found a company “jos america” that I recall having a video of their machine at work- very brief. I have never found a video of a complete operation.

Ideas.be - their splash page shows a last being milled.

Klingbeil Skating shoes did a video segment for Martha Stewart showing him using his antique Gilman lathe, but it seems to be no longer on the web site. You may find it out there somewhere.

Maybe helpful?

Erick

Hey thanks for the links…

that helps. I really was just wanting to see the actual process…

thanks again…