vacuum infusion for fiberglas and carbon applications

i would like to view some more information about the process of vacuum infusion using plastic vacuum bagging material for fiberglass and carbon with epoxy resins. if anyone has recomendations for online resources or magazines or books devoted to this or related subjects please let me know.

thanks in advance

Hey, I’ve done quite a bit of moulding with carbon fiber and some other Aramids. I can wrap my brain around your questions if you’d like. As a secret weapon, I’ve found that wrapping black vinyl (electricians) tape STICKY SIDE OUT can act as a good, cheap and easy compression mould for squeezing out extra drippings. Expect to sand for days on end though.

I have a line of jewlery (rings) made from a few different types of composites, take a look over them and let me know what you think? The carbon fiber ones aren’t on this site, but I can send you a pic if interested, as it was pretty hellish moulding carbon fiber ‘in the round’

www.pbase.com/rainhousedesign

Cheers
James

Hey, just found this in another post and thought it might help. Sorry for not citing the source, just heading out the door here. This guy knows his stuff though!

"First off you should if at all possible vacuum bag into a female mould to get the stongest and most professional looking finished part. You want to vacuum bag into a female as opposed to over a plug (male) because the release and wicking fabrics used in vacuum bagging that absorb excess epoxy leave a nasty finished on surface.

For lay up over a plug, liberally cut your sheets to appox. size trying to make say every third or sheet on a 30 degree angle to the fibre direction to add rigidity to the final part. You could also put in a layer of Kevlar if you would expect any shear (from bolt connections or impact). And be extremely left-wing with the mold release, if not, consider your part a one-off.

Prepare small batches of the epoxy as they will cure slower than one big batch. Gently “bat” the layer to shape then add epoxy, repeat as required. When completed, squeeze out as much epoxy as possible. Final composite parts’ stength are determined by the epoxy to fibre ratio. More epoxy=weaker, heavier part. You could also squeegy out excess every several layers or so. "

Hope this helps, and mad props to the author!