Vacuum Cleaners

Hi, i would like to post some questions about cyclonic vacuum cleaners design.
Does a cyclonic vacuum cleaners have to be design " upright or vertically " due to the gravity purposes of separating the dust from the air.

How cyclonic vacuum system could be applied onto horizontal form designs such as the handheld vacuum, since the gravity plays an important role in making the cyclonic system happen, and also the spiral form.

Though i review some design which is the handheld with cyclonic system, i just don’t understand how it could work in such a form. Can anyone please explain to me. Thanks for your priceless time in replying to such an - - - - - question.
:blush: :smiley:
38046562-177x150-0-0_.jpg
75862454-177x150-0-0.jpg

are you trying to design a cyclonic vaccum cleaner? or are you just interested in how they work?

Most cylinder dysons put the cyclone on a roughly 45deg angle…although the old dyson DC06…which never came out …had the cyclone horizontal.

You can see how the Root Cyclone of the over here:

Also the picture below for an explanation of the stages of the air flow.

I was recently reading up on water ram pumps and someone was commenting about how the bombarding effect of round tubes actually decreases efficiency. I wonder if that “cyclone effect” is actually helping the power of the vacume or is it just bells and whistles.

hi there, thanks for showing me the photo’s. Yes, i am currently doing a vacuum cleaner design for my college project and came across this cyclonic system which derive my interest in knowing how it really works, so that i can vary my design form, whether or not a horizontal could still supports and form the spiral air flow.

Does that means that the air flow of an cyclonic system vacuum doesn’t need to flow out ? But circulates within the vacuum cleaner itself ? Unlike the conventional vacuum cleaner which air flows out after going through its filter bag then out from the vacuum cleaner itself.

:smiley:

Well alerick, i did a minor research about suction powers. It seems that if the suction powers is related to the size of the exhaust port. If the size of the exhaust port is smaller therefore it would speed up the airflow, therefore create more powerful suctions. Well, i do not know whether it is the same concept with pumps.

• i am just merely touching the surface haha :frowning: :smiley:

hmmm…it does need to flow out, the flow is produced by the vacuum motor…I’ll add some more detail

The full air flow route would be follows.

1. air is pulled in from the hose
  2. into the large chamber (big bits of dirt are collected)
  3. next into the cyclone (where small bit of dirt are flung out) air spirals down the to small end of the cone where it then it goes back though the middle comes out the top.
  4. Then goes though a pre filter…where really really small bits of dirt are caught.
  5. Goes though the vacuum motor
  6. and out though a post filter…to capture any tiny bugs and carbon particles from the motor brushes.
  7. clean…warm…air comes out.

It doesn’t increase the power…in terms of watts but it removes the need to have a bag to ‘catch’ the dirt. As the dirt is removed from the air by the cyclone…which doesn’t need to be changed when the bin is full.

:open_mouth: :slight_smile: Owh i see, that’s how it works. Thanks alot, it really helped . :smiley:

You are right that the cyclones depend on gravity to protect the filter. Anything deviating from vertical decreases the efficiency of the unit. In use the hand-helds are likely to be used in a 45 deg angle. There should be at least some protection. However one other advantage of the cyclone is visual feedback to the user- (Does nothing for efficiency) The cyclone puffs up the dirt and you see a clump of crap swirling around on the inside of the unit- “Dang! Would you look at all that dirt! I made a good investment.”

:smiley: Hi, this is what i discovered and have another problem unsolved, yet another question. Hope you guys can help once again. :smiley:

Since i understand how the air flow of the cyclonic system work, from the attachment photo i got from wikipedia and from overall studies of the air flow, since the dirty air goes through the same tube with different opening as the cleaner directs out, how would it possibly not mix up, or cause any “jam” between dirty air and cleaner air? Does that means that the cleaner air will eventually be dirty air until we press the " stop button " which all the particles all drop into the collector ? :confused:

TQ!

The particles are being ‘dumped’ all the time while the air is moving. The clean air and dirty air don’t mix as the dirt is forced to the outside of the cyclone and the clean air moves through the centre.

You might want to direct more technical questions directly to the company’s who make such things as I am sure they could tell you why.

Take a look over here: