V-Ray

Anyone mess much with V-Ray in their jobs? http://www.chaosgroup.com/

sure do Bart, we use it as Rhino plug-in.
Last Job, render folks used Max plug-in.
Pretty sure we are interested in some further training on it too …ahem…ahem…

V-Ray for Rhino Sketchup…
asgvis.com

we have been getting calls for it too. Thats how I keep my ear to the ground. JEZZ!

I’ve used V-Ray for Rhino for a while now. It has a pretty steep learning curve if you have only used basic rendering programs (Flamingo), but the manual is decent. Once you play around with it for a while, it is easy to use. Also, the asgvis web page is a great resource, with tons of materials to get you started.

As far as rendering goes, it gives great results. I would recommend a pretty strong CPU and tons of ram with it though. I have run 16 hour renders that werent very complex. There are some things that I would like to see (such as a material falloff), but I would highly recommend it.

I wonder how much of a place the complex software (Vray, Mental Ray) has left in the ID realm when you can get really good photorealism out of software like Maxwell (bad UI but pretty quick learning curve), or really quick results out of real time software like Showcase or Hypershot.

Seems to me for the time invested to learn one of the 'Rays you could have mastered and done 100 renderings in either of the other packages.

Maxwell used to be prohibitive because of speed, but with quad core workstations moving now for under $1k I don’t know if thats the case anymore.

My issues with V-ray, is that due to the steep learning curve, I learned a lot initially to create some decent scenes and figure out which visopts to use. So about 1 year later, I am trying to help others use it and can almost never remember some of the ways to troubleshoot the problems they and I are running into when we deviate from the “old faithful” scenes we have been using. gotta dig back in and relearn …

I thought Maxwell was expensive and when comparing render times ruled it out based on that. Is it really a lot easier to learn than v-ray? I may consider peaking in…

I use vray when ever I can. Best and fastest looking renderer.
Speed is what kept me from maxwell, but like cyberdemon said, with the increase in tech for the $$ it may not be as big of an issue. I will say that I still face long render times with v-ray (sometimes 12hrs plus) and any increase in hardware speed can still be applied.

I bought the web version of hypershot and was not that impressed. I can open a model and click a few buttons to get a decent image, but then I kind of hit a wall with trying to tweak something in. I understand its a middle ground between screen dumps from CAD and a full blown rendering, but I don’t have much need for that.

I’ve been REALLY impressed with the VRay plugin in Rhino. Started using it a few months ago. I’ve used AliasStudio since 2000 and Maya/mental ray since 2003 for rendering, so I have some experience, but I learned what I needed to know in Rhino/VRay in probably less than a week (haven’t used VRay in MAX). Within that time, I was able to crank out renderings of a quality near what I had been able to achieve in Maya. Granted, my experience in those other programs no doubt played a big part in getting up to speed quickly in VRay. At any rate, I’m in love.

I’m surprised to hear stories of 12-16 hour render times, as I’ve never waited more than an hour or two (1024x768 on dual core). To be fair, I have not done any print resolution work in VRay, so maybe things really slow down then, or maybe my scenes simply have yet to really tax the software. Just the other day, I was tuning a ~20mb scene to see how fast I could get test renderings to finish (to test lighting, colors, etc). Got rough 600x400 preview quality renderings down to about 7 seconds, iirc (8 core machine, but even on a dual core, ~30s would be pretty great).

Network rendering was a breeze to set up too. So cool to see 20-30 cores working on one image.

I’ve heard VRay for MAX is pretty complicated, but after reading the (delightfully concise) manual and the tutorials on the ASGVis site, I’ve found the Rhino plugin to be a great balance of simplicity vs quality. But then I’ve been doing this rendering thing for a while, so maybe it wouldn’t seem as simple for a newcomer.

Maya/mental ray offers more capabilities for sure, and the VRay for Rhino plugin certainly has room to grow, but I’m pretty smitten with VRay. I am excited to see where it goes in the ID world.

I have yet to really save visopts. Configuring settings in every scene takes a few minutes longer, but helps me remember what everything does and occasionally leads to “happy accidents,” which teach me more. Not a huge fan of presets before I understand everything there is to know. I compiled some mental ray Phenomena to automate some things in Maya only after configuring thousands of shaders manually and learning what I was doing.

Cyberdemon makes a good point. The “simpler” options like Hypershot (have seen it in use on projects), Showcase (haven’t used it), maybe Maxwell (used it, liked it, but yeah, it’s slow), are very attractive when time to learn is limited. The renderer market is an interesting place right now.

Hopefully I don’t sound preachy. Just excited. Always get this way when I learn new software. :wink:

Good Point!
I was really starting to learn some things prior to copping out with the visopts, and now when I want to explore more ideas, I’m back to square one.

I know people that use vray and I’ve done a couple of renders on my own and after a few tutorials, you can get really good looking images quickly. Using a simple setup (basic lighting) , at a small 800x600 I would get a decent rendering in under 8 minutes. The times increase when you get really close to see the material textures but for a medium range shot it’s pretty quick.
Granted I’m pretty new to rendering but these are some samples from my 2nd and 3rd try with vray. The mouse is just with default lighting so it’s nothing special but for quick visualization I think it gets the job done for the time it takes.

How does v-ray handle decals? And how does the interface plug up with Rhino? Nice defused shadows btw.

There is a plugin for rhino. I’ve used the max version but learned reading a tutorial for the rhino version. I cheated with the decals by just making the decal the same size as a plane and then using the flat decal as a material and its outline as an opacity mask (to make the rest of the plane invisible so that you just have the graphics left) and then just lining them up with the surface. I haven’t tried doing it for a curved surface, no time to experiment but I’ve been told that it’s just like how you would do it in max normally, something about making a custom uvw map I believe.

And there is a stand alone version I guess.

Decals are one of the things that I have struggled with most. You have to map it through some pretty tedious steps, and I always have to keep going back to the widget and mess with it.

I’ve used VRAY in 3ds Max & Maya and love it. It’s especially great for render passes and multichannel EXRs, which are then used in composting software like nuke. Haven’t used it in Rhino yet, but I do a LOT of modeling in Rhino, so it would make sense to try out sometime soon.