V-Ray vrs Bunkspeed HyperShot

I’m wondering if HyperShot can manage the following:

1. Layers
  2. Cameras
  3. Complex UVs.
  4. Displacement

Does anybody know?

For UV maps you have to do them before opening your file with hypershot. This can be painful if you have to modify the mapping once you have already applied your materials in hypershot. To me this is really a problem.

As of I know Hypershot does not support displacement

The speed of hypershot is impressive and I like the fact that you can open solidworks files directly. I use it mainly for quick visualization because I dont feel I have the same control as in Vray. Yes hypershot is really fast but once you have a good vray material library and a couple nice render scenes the time you spend setting up the scene goes down drastically. You just have to invest the time.

Am I incorrect in thinking that you can’t open Solidworks files directly if you have the OSX version of Hypershot? It wont let me…

Watch out - the student license is $99 for one year

You can get a 10% discount on Hypershot w/ the YankoDesign.com code “Yanko-0910”. I used it to buy the low-res version and have come to really love Hypershot (I used to use Flamingo, too).

It is crazy simple to use compared to everything else.

Would also suggest you take a look at Autodesk Showcase. Price very recently went down to USD 995 which make it a very appealing solution.

Showcase is great IMO. Much, much better texturing options with more intuitive texture manipulation (hypershot has always been weak in this area) and now supports both real time Raytracing and its traditional GPU mode (needs some powerful hardware for large models).

I’ve been using it for a few months now and am VERY happy with its performance and integration with Pro E and Alias. I no longer have any issues pulling in a Pro E assembly and converting it to a design review ready rendering in 15 min.

The ability to do “Alternatives” also makes it awesome for real time design reviews.