UW seattle or UIUC for industrial design?

Hello guys, I’m an international student who’s admitted to both UW and UIUC’s industrial design. If you were me which do you prefer? Anyone please give me some suggestions and tell me more about Both school’s industrial design program. What are the pros and cons? Thank you very much :smiley:

While Seattle is fun, and I have been there many times. I like UIUC. I also went to UIUC. Can you go and look at the schools in person before you choose? Also as a side note, I don’t know anybody from UW Seattle but I would still know UIUC people even if I had not gone there.

Agreed.

Thank you for the advices Simin and Yo.
So Simon you were in uiuc’s industrial design program and you think it’s awesome? nicee
I’d choose UW if it’s the matter of campus and location, but I care more about the program they offer.
Plus the national ranking of those 2 schools are close, so now i’m only concern about which school offers a better program. :slight_smile:

So I’m going to second visiting the campuses of both schools to see which is a better fit.

With that in mind, I guess it’s pretty lucky that I’m currently on co-op in seattle (in the u-district, right by UW), so I’ve had some opportunities to hang out with UW ID department and get to know what they’re about. They’re an incredibly hard working and passionate group of students, and have a very interesting program structure. You don’t actually choose your major until the end of the second year. Before that, you spend time getting a foundation in ID, Visual design, and interaction design; so you’ll have a really really large toolkit of design abilities and approaches. The school grew out of an art college, so it is definitely more artistic based vs. production based, but if you work hard, it seems that getting an internship is definitely do-able, especially in the seattle area (which has a pretty vibrant design community that includes stellar design firms like teague, artefact, carbon design group, and general assembly, as well as other companies like microsoft, amazon, and contour (UW had a sketch club event last week where a designer from contour came out and gave a workshop). I talked to students who interned/were interning at teague, contour, and amazon- so the opportunities definitely exist, you just have to push yourself to be able to get them. I’ll try and ask a student I know there to post here, as they will definitely be able to better explain their program and what not.

good luck to wherever you end up!!

Thanks a lot ineo!!! very detailed analysis!!!
your comment has been very helpful. :slight_smile:
looking forward to meet some UW’s ID students :DDDDDDD

Here’s a message from the student I mentioned earlier- she’s having some trouble setting up a core account, so I’m posting this for her:

Hello tim940301,

I’m currently a Junior in the UW ID program and I’m enjoying it quite a bit. It’s still a relatively new program, so there are some kinks in the curriculum that are being worked out, but overall its a pretty comprehensive program within a very diverse and supportive environment.

(fyi I wanted to post this stuff yesterday, but for some reason I’m not getting my Core77 account activation in the mail…)

You said earlier that you’ve been admitted in the ID program. Does this mean you’ve gone through the Sophomore year, or you’ve been admitted into Design in general? I don’t know if anybody has been able to go straight into ID and bypass the Sophomore foundations level courses.

I came to the UW without knowing the existence of design, so I can’t say I’ve seen or researched many other design programs. There are some drawbacks to UW’s program since it is 3 years vs 4 years, but if you have the motivation and proactivity to reach out to the community and connect with your peers, there is a wealth of knowledge and opportunity.

I don’t know if this is unique to the program I’m in, but there are many returning students that have worked in engineering, programming, carpentry, etc, that one day found out that design is their true calling. They bring a lot of diversity to the class and it’s been great when we all help each other out and share our experiences. All together, it makes our class a lot stronger when we learn from each other and make the most out of our resources.

Like any other public institution struggling under a budget crisis, the UW Design Department hasn’t been able to afford some of the fancier tools that other design schools have, such as 3D printers and new equipment, but we have strong connections to other University departments such as Mechanical Engineering and Architecture and they let us use their tools and shop.

What I’ve found to be great about the program is being in close proximity to other design students studying interaction design and visual communication design. Despite being an Industrial Design major, I’ve been able to take several IxD classes and even landed two IxD internships. The student groups are quite active and there are always events to attend both at the school and in the larger design community in Seattle, which is just a 20 minute bus ride away.

Like ineo mentioned above, there are lots of great design firms in close vicinity. There have been sponsored projects from Teague, Artefact, Boeing, Microsoft, and more. Let me know if you have any more questions, and I’d be glad to answer them! :slight_smile:

-Frances

francesctung@gmail.com

Thank you so so so much guys! I am so grateful to see those comments.
I have emailed Frances, and ineo thank you super much too (btw, your portfolio is AWESOME! wish I could be as good as you in the future)