UV Stability in Plastics for Indoor Use

Does anyone have any expertise or experience with regard to UV stability in plastics; when the addition of a UV package is necessary for plastic components that will be used indoors under fluorescent lighting and on occasion - indirect sunlight?

I am having a problem in which products that have been in the field for less than 2 years under these conditions are exhibiting noticeable color shift. There are a number of factors that might be contributing to the color shift including possible reaction with chemical cleaners.

I’m mostly looking for experience and how other designers have made decisions with regard to UV stability in plastics.

I’m getting some help from compounders but the information is not really actionable and there are many variables. The simple answer seems to be to never, if possible, specify a material without a UV package.

Thoughts?

You might already have your answer here. Obviously the first batch of the product failed.
I’d check first, if the chemical cleaners have an influence, this would possibly lead to
the use of a totally different category of plastics. If not. At least add an UV stabilizer.
Doing household goods without is a NoNo.

mo-i

You should be able to work directly with a plastics supplier on this kind of an issue - or at least sift through the data sheets on different resins to make sure you’re using the right resin.

The manufacturer of the polymer should have this data. What brand and product of material are you using? UV stability is addressed differently from product to product.