use pirated software?

I decided to post this as a “guest” for obvious reasons, I would suggest that those responding do the same.

My question is how many of you/us use pirated software? say like ProE or Solidworks…Max… etc. How many small companies use pirated software? I am curios because I use a pirated version of Solidworks. I am not a bad person (I dont think?), I would like to purchase the software but its just not in the budget at the moment.

nope. too much risk. do a project for a client. client talks to reseller. reseller wonder whats up. $3-4k is a small investment. with Rhino its less. no reason to.

YHK, that may be true but many of the asian manufactures I have dealt with use pirated software, thats one of the ways they cut “design” costs, the bastards!

i’ve seen it.

small or large, i’ve never come across any company that uses pirated software…the hacker argument is always ‘if they write the software better…it couldn’t get pirated’…but it just like anything else…locks only keep out the honest people.

a buddy of mine was an intern / co-op at one80design in NYC. He said all of their software was pirated? That is bunk dude. if they have the money they should pay up…

My software is all legal although some of it is student versions I bought when I was a full time student last year (Macromedia Suite). I haven’t used any of the student software for payed work.

I have never seen pirated stuff used in the work place. I do know many students that use pirated software. For many the student price is still beyond their reach considering they need to purchase several applications.

There was a thread on this very subject a couple of years ago…it digressed quickly into a holier-than-thou rant from those who thought nothing of using pirated software against a few who rightly viewed it as stealing.
I use no pirated software, nor would I hire anyone who does.

Think about it. If you were a company who paid tens of thousands of dollars on software to do cutting edge design, and an applicant walked in fresh out of school showing great talent done on software he or she couldn’t afford, would you trust them? If they are willing to use stolen software, will they hold in confidence your company’s propietary designs, or keep their hands off the software you paid for?

This type of temptation becomes a litmus test for people’s character. It’s fairly easy to steal this type of property, be it software, music, etc, but it’s no less theft.

I don’t do it, I’ve taught my teenaged kids not to do it, and I’m definitely in the minority.

I’ve been designing for over 25 years and actually use this as one of the criteria when hiring designers.

If you want for something, work for it. Honesty and integrity come at a price.

put your money where your mouth is, then have surprise spot check on all the employers who use WINAMP, FIRE ON TNE SPOT, ON THE SPOT i repeat, all those dishonest people who listen to pirated mp3s.

also, spank your kids for listening to MP3s. BUt one spank less if one MP3 happens to be from iTunes where they redeemed it from the pepsi soda cap sweepstakes. Just kidding, I’m sure you’ve taught them teenage kids well enough to not listen to pirated music OR ASSOCIATE WITH ANYONE AT SCHOOL WHO DOES SUCH EVIL THINGS. (yes that means they will have no friends but its for a greater good)

“I’ve been designing for over 25 years and actually use this as one of the criteria when hiring designers.”

get over it. judging by those years, im guessing its harder for you to grasp the current information age college aged, 20 something culture… do you know how many college students use pirated music or software? you make it sound like its whether you say yes or no to drugs. do you also realize a LOT of the “great talent work” of students on such software are from ones owned by the schools OR trial versions offered at almost all the software company websites? Actually, reread that quote… its the dumbest thing ive ever heard. seriously. So you are saying you sit there and one of the questions you fire out is “do you use pirated software”? who are you and what is the name of your firm? or is it true that you are really a 20 something kid whos yanking our chains, because thats how it seems.

i think you’re kidding and being sarcastic because no one can be that thick and stick-up-the-butted… its as overboard, excessive, and asburd as asking if the interviewee recycles or whether or not they support Bush. how ironic (and quite humorous) you started off with “it digressed quickly into a holier-than-thou rant” and you never realized how QUICKLY indeed you yourself digressed into it in the rest of your “rant” post.

next time, dont just say pirated software, also ask if they EVER listened to pirated MP3s. it seems like no one really is holier than thou.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DESIGN AND WILL ONLY CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS ON THIS BOARD.

put your money where your mouth is, then have surprise spot check on all the employers who use WINAMP, FIRE ON TNE SPOT, ON THE SPOT i repeat, all those dishonest people who listen to pirated mp3s.

also, spank your kids for listening to MP3s. BUt one spank less if one MP3 happens to be from iTunes where they redeemed it from the pepsi soda cap sweepstakes. Just kidding, I’m sure you’ve taught them teenage kids well enough to not listen to pirated music OR ASSOCIATE WITH ANYONE AT SCHOOL WHO DOES SUCH EVIL THINGS. (yes that means they will have no friends but its for a greater good)

“I’ve been designing for over 25 years and actually use this as one of the criteria when hiring designers.”

get over it. judging by those years, im guessing its harder for you to grasp the current information age college aged, 20 something culture… do you know how many college students use pirated music or software? you make it sound like its whether you say yes or no to drugs. do you also realize a LOT of the “great talent work” of students on such software are from ones owned by the schools OR trial versions offered at almost all the software company websites? Actually, reread that quote… its the dumbest thing ive ever heard. seriously. So you are saying you sit there and one of the questions you fire out is “do you use pirated software”? who are you and what is the name of your firm? or is it true that you are really a 20 something kid whos yanking our chains, because thats how it seems.

i think you’re kidding and being sarcastic because no one can be that thick and stick-up-the-butted… its as overboard, excessive, and asburd as asking if the interviewee recycles or whether or not they support Bush. how ironic (and quite humorous) you started off with “it digressed quickly into a holier-than-thou rant” and you never realized how QUICKLY indeed you yourself digressed into it in the rest of your “rant” post.

next time, dont just say pirated software, also ask if they EVER listened to pirated MP3s. it seems like no one really is holier than thou.

Winamp sn’t ilegal and niether are mp3s asshole n you got no rights to nothing so go live in a commune where you can share the fucking toilet paper with your unemployed buttbuddies… Koombaya motherfucker.

I’d use it to learn the program to see if it’s worth investing in. I wouldn’t use them for any paying gigs, like someone mentioned it may be traceable. I’d have to work 10 yrs at a McJob to be able to afford to get some programs just to learn it and determine if you’d be good enough to make a living with it. My issue comes if you’re using it to make money, then you need to pay, or at least after the one job that makes you enough money to get a copy, then you get it legitimately and work from there on.

Got this info from a reseller directly a couple years ago…

A disgruntled employee at Karim Rashid’s office let it slip to a software reseller that they were working of of pirated / duplicated single seat licence sofware. Based on this information the reseller was preparing to take the appropriate legal action.

Just as the reseller was about to take legal action, 9/11 happens and since his office was in downtown NYC, they refrained from the lawsuit.

I don’t know the outcome of the situation, but I think that he has since bought some software.

I personally have worked with his firm and he has developed concepts with for us. The rates that he lists as his Sr., Jr., and Intern desiger rates are sooooooo inflated that he has absolutley no reason to cheap out on the software. (the work he delivered to my company was never used, big $$ for some typical sketches and bad blobby renderings, the work looked hurried and not thought through)

It is not just the Chinese companies that are cutting costs by eliminating the software expense.

A little lesson, if you are cheating the software companies, keep your employees happy. They will soon become ex-employees and will have a drink to many and rat you out.

Long live Philip Johnson

\

Without pirated software I will be spending more time fighting over computer usage rights in school than actually doing my work. Then again, I don’t produce those work for profit.

Look at how many softwares we need to use.
Windows XP ( ok I paid for this)
MS word ( I am using the 97 version bought years ago)
Photoshop
Illustrator
Painter
Rhino
Alias
AutoCAD
Solidworks
3D Max
and more…
and just how much do they cost?

It’s not just about working with these softwares. When I need to print my work out, if I don’t have the softwares on my own computer, where will I go? Kinkos? That will cost a bomb plus they will probably screw the print job up and not make it in time for presentation!

Let’s put it this way, we learn how to use those softwares while in school. When we get a job, we use them in the company who pay for it sometimes get hired to use it. Won’t it be better than not knowing how to use the software and be discouraged from using it further? I don’t think software producers have that much to lose from student pirated software users as long as they don’t profit from doing so.

A software is useless if no one knows how to use it. My word to software companies is, just treat those bastard students as your future clients. We may be using your pirated version 10 but we will be paying for your version 11.

My company hired a guy from Argentina a while back to do some freelance work for us and he brought in an entire 100 cd case that was filled to the brim with illegal programs, music, movies - everything.

He knew more websites for getting hacked stuff than i have ever seen in my entire life and had no problem doing it. He said it was a cultural thing and that everyone did it. What American company was ever going to show up in his small town and give him a fine? - according to him it would never happen. They would just kill the guy and toss him in a jungle somewhere if he threatened them.

Normally I wouldn’t care but the guy complained about the US the entire time he was working for us and kept going on and on about how things back home were so much better - all the while stealing American intellectual property with every second of free time he had. It pissed me off that someone would go hey you’re all idiots - thanks for going to school and learning all of this so we can steal it and keep you in debt.

After that I contemplated going to his town with a US patent book to help remove all the idiotic American pollution from their lives. I’d love to see how they like it when I take back all the programs, light bulbs, electronics, telephones, and everything else born of american stupidity.

THis is only part of the story. Everyone here complains how much software costs. Pirated software means no revenue for the company that publishes it. They still have to pay their employees, make their investors happy etc.

So how pays for the revenue that lose from pirated software… you do. I have worked as part of a team designing software. Its hard work and requires many team members. They deserve to get paid so they can afford software too.

I pirated without guilt for the first few years out on my own. I don’t kow how I could have gotten on my feet without LimeWire and Kazaa. Now that I’m up and running, I buy all of my software.

Of course, now I give to public radio, too…

Ideally, one day we’ll all have open-source alternatives to Adobe, Macromedia, etc. that we can get for free. We need a Design Mozilla out there…

[quote=Ideally, one day we’ll all have open-source alternatives to Adobe, Macromedia, etc. that we can get for free. We need a Design Mozilla out there…[/quote]

imagine if IDers could tailer the programs to our real needs. Oh, there is some shite I would do to Solidworks and ProE. For instance right now I would make inporting models from Solidworks into ProE (and vice-versa) for mold creating more compatible! Oh that would be sweet!

illustrator in India wrote of his problem on CGTalk couple months ago. he does big images. creates in 2D and 3D. prints measured in feet. goes to printhouse. gets output. puts handprint on them as signature. sells to galleries. then found his work spreading. someone at printhouse retrieved file from print buffer. and started sharing it. which got loose and into hands of people now selling his work. this devalues his legit work. he was looking for options on his thread. no one had one.

seems anti-corporate justification backfires. fear of intellectual property theft puts more power into big corporations who can afford everything to avoid. like file lawsuits. guy in India has no options now. does anyone in a creative field? i dont think so. videogame industry is good example. lots of free crappy 3D models. but almost no one sells good ones in packs for indy developers. they know models will get put up on p2p. there are alot of game programmers and small startups desperate for content. cant afford custom. but no packs. i’m watching indy games die on the vine. more power to the corporates.

I just downloaded INKSCAPE which is a lot like CorelDraw, but a freeware.
But they also have FreeCAD and such.
So there are alternatives, so when there’s a wish, there’s a way.