Updating my portfolio after being out two years

Was wondering if this should be here or the portfolio section - but I think this topic may fit here better since this might answer other people’s answers in similar situations, and isn’t a discussion specific to my portfolio.

It’s been about two years since I graduated, and I’ve gotten a few interviews and a job offer out of the country but nothing too enticing. I kind of gave up design to go another route with my career while also freelancing with logos + some UI / UX projects on the side, but now I feel as if I made the wrong choice and really do actually miss industrial design.

I’m looking back at my portfolio with fresh eyes and holy moly! It’s really missing some things - Surfacing is the biggest one of them all. We were never really taught that at the school I graduated from.

What are some ways I could update my portfolio now that I’ve graduated and been away for a couple years? Specifically adding and showcasing skills that may have been missing from my portfolio out of school? Should I consider just doing side projects that use skills that are missing?

Thanks C77!

Well the good news is you have some freelancing to show, even if not directly ID related. I would definitely beef up the portfolio with some side projects. They don’t have to be crazy involved projects. I did a series of conceptual phone pieces before interviewing with frog a few years back for example. Most of my portfolio at the time was footwear and I wanted to show that I could do the kind of work they do.

Thanks yo, great work and I love what you do for the field of industrial design,

I think that’s what I’ll do - some side work targeted towards the firms I may have interest in working for.

Best recommended way to learn surfacing for someone who knows the basics of Solidworks pretty well? Just jump right in and start playing with it?

The included Solidworks tutorials are useful to learn the different surfacing features and what each one does. Once you have an understanding of how to use the different features, challenge yourself to model a real-world object. Computer mice are usually a good bet.

I’ve been presenting ID focused presentations at the annual Solidworks World conference and have the recordings on YouTube. The content is certainly not beginner level, but once you have a basic understanding of SW surfacing, they can help push your game to the next level.

Thank you for the great tutorials sir. I’ll definitely watch them and use them to learn surfacing alongside the included Solidworks tutorials!

There is definitely a strategy to good surface modeling, and you will develop it with experience. Your intent is best to develop each surface in its own right, without too many interdependencies, even though that sounds counterintuitive. Surfaces extend into space and are then trimmed and blended. Advanced features and detailing comes at the end. The best tutorial I found so far is the one on modeling an Audi R8 by Dan Lavoie. Keep us updated with progress!