understanding shadows and reflections

This is my understanding of shadows and reflections… am I right???

conceptually :when light falls on an object the area behind the object gets dark
while sketching:can be shown with very dark or black in the shape of the form the light is falling on.

conceptually: if the surface of the object is shiny or very smooth,then the objects around it show on the surface even though distorted.
while sketching: can be shown by visualising the surrounding and then showing it on the object by way of rendering…

what is this concept of core shadows???
Is there a good link on the net which I can go through to get an understanding of this…

whether you’re rendering with a software or just a pencil you need to know of what type, what intensity, and what position your light source is based on.

prioritize your task first according to its importance to your presentation or the codition you want to create.

if surface important you need to find an intensity suitable for that surface.
if shadow: light position.
if mood: light type.

wow, thank god that topic came. Can anybody tell me if i can take fruitful cues from everyday objects for sketchin g.I know i vcan.that is very obvious.But its not easy as it is.

the link was real good. What kind of sketches should i practice. is there a site that shows how metals are rendered as against glasses and plastic. i want more examples to draw.

keep in mind that you need to first work on perspective drawings. design perspectives are often exaggerated to give a more dynamic look to the object. later when you have the object wireframe you can decide what to do with it; if it’s solid, transparent, translucent etc.

wireframe is important because when you shade it later you can decide which parts of it you want to keep or erase/hide. you can also experiment with reflection quality which determines the material state.

there’re various methods to test your ideas on paper, but probably the best thing to do is to have the geometry/proportions first, then move into perspective so you don’t have to adjust it later. what you can do is create a plan drawing on a piece of paper and rotate it around on a table until you find a view you like. stick it , make it stable, then redraw it or use a tracing paper. after that you can start sqeezing the outline to get the desired perspective line. from here on you’re basically on your own.

as for shading usually one side of the object is darker than the other or one corner or curve is the brightest. the rest just fades out. then you add shadows/reflections to balance the whole drawing. that’s basically the purpose for shadows in design drawings, otherwise you don’t need them because if they’re too complex or heavy they take away from the concept, unlesss you really want it that way for a certain presentation.

agree Deez.

You gotta build the foundation before you put the roof on kid!

Start with why the heck you are doing the sketch in the first place. What are you trying to show?

From there select an appropriate view. I remember an instructor laughing his ass off at one of my renderings (not uncommon for me unfortunately) because I had designed this simple, designerly butter dish, but drew it in a worms eye view perspective that made it look as big as Saarinen’s TWA terminal. Pic an appropriate view for the viewer to understand you.

Once you’ve got that. Make sure your perspective is correct by drawing through and constructing the drawing. (you can take liberties here and there to “cheat” the idea)

From there, overlay it one more time to get the linework hot. Add in any appropriate details and make sure they fit the design and have purpose.

Now you can render…

One of my drawing instructors was Jim Orr (if you can get your hands on an old VHS of power drawing, hang onto it!.. http://www.dickblick.com/zz720/24/ ) Its amazing how much this guy could render a surface with a prisma pencil and a sharpie!