UMEA

im currently working on my application… how detailed do you need to be on “your dream thesis project” idea???..

Before I studied at Umea Design Institute, I had seen many articles on this school on famous design web sites, like core77. So, I thought Umea Design Institute could be the school, where I can learn so many things during my master study. When I was in Umea, I realised that Umea Design Institute has many relationship with media, so this school has used media for advetising Umea Design Institute. Also, some designers grasuating from that school have advertised this school indirectly here. Be careful!!! Umea design institute is the worst!!! Even in Sweden this school is rated on third stage.

they never accepted me. but… it worked out for the better

The town of Umea is located far and far away from Stockholm, the capital city of Sweden. It takes about 13hours to get there by a bus from Stockholm. Umea town is an educational town, small population in a small area. Most big buildings belong to Umea university. Umea is a very calm town and isolated in north of Sweden. The weather in Umea is very unstable and worst, for example, sunny in the morning, raining afternoon, and snowing in the evening in a day. In the winter the sun goes down around 3 or 4p.m., and goes up about 6 or 7a.m. In the summer the sun goes down around 11 or 12a.m., and goes up 2 or 3a.m. This weather condition makes people mad, hardly see people smiling especially in the winter.

It takes a particular kind of mindset if you judge a design school by its proximity to another city, its weather, or the faces people make when they see you.

This guy has yet to make one qualified statement about their program or his own failure to perform.

One of things at Umea Design Institute surprised me was official racism at lectures and classes. Most of time, Asian and American students were targeted.
There have been so many racism happenings at Umea Design Institute. Here are some instances.
In a class, one Swedish student said ‘stupid America!’ in front of other international students after teacher explained on America style 2D drawing.
In a big hall, it was an open seminar at Umea Design Institute. The lecturer was from Volvo car company, and he underestimated Asian car makers badly several times in front of many international students and other people. Even one of Swedish students told him that if you say that continually Asian people may feel bad.

One of teachers from Denmark showed some factory pictures of China with racism personal opinions at the open seminar.

At the open seminar, one teacher showed many bad pictures of Taiwan and talked to people about racism explanations on Taiwanese cultures.

Well, I experienced this kind of stupid official racism so many times at the Umea Design Institute during my study. Whenever I had a meeting with Master Program Coordinator, I told her on this matter so many times. However, her reaction was just saying that ‘you are too sensitive.’ I thought why this kind happing is occurred at Umea Design Institute is because Umea Design Institute is located far from the main university campus meaning that it is isolated from main campus. Also only a few people, who do not understand the word of ‘international’ and cultural understandings, have managed this school from many years. So, they do not realize what is going on at this school. Also, they looked they would like not to understand other countries cultures even most classes have the name ‘International Master Classes.’ Most of International classes have a half of Swedish students meaning that Swedish culture is the most acceptable culture and forced to international student to follow Swedish cultures.

I understand your frustration, but you don’t need to post the same thing in multiple topics.

[quote=“prof”]It takes a particular kind of mindset if you judge a design school by its proximity to another city, its weather, or the faces people make when they see you.

This guy has yet to make one qualified statement about their program or his own failure to perform.[/quote]

Dear prof,

Thank you for your words.
You misunderstood on my post. I hoped somebody could get helps from my post telling the real weather condition at Umea.

One of professors at Umea Design Institute told me that he will offer me a job after my graduation if I come back to Umea Design Institute after my summer internship. At that time I was told that the design firm, where I had an internship, would offer me a full time job after my summer internship. I came back to Umea Design Institute. However, the professor says he hardly remembers what he said.

talk about a chip on your shoulder…

OK, you’ve made your point, let it rest.

I read somebody wrote that Umea Design Institute is underestimated at the discussion board here. I bet that someone would be one of graduates from Umea Design Institute or got paid from that school for advertisement here, core77.

Here I will say to you about educational quality of Umea Design Institute. Please, let me know that what I will say is very usually happenings at the famous design universities or not.

In 2003, one day I heard one researcher would come to Umea Design Institute soon from USA. Also, I heard he had a good professional career in the USA and he would stay in Umea for one year. But after I met him and asked his professional careers, he told me that he quitted studying at his university and had some intern experiences at the small design firms.
If there are people studying at the famous design universities, please tell me it is possible somebody, who does not have bachelor degree, becomes a researcher at your school?

After one year staying at Umea Design Institute, he got a master degree, and had a graduation exhibition with other master students, who finished 2 year study at Umea Design Institute. Because he was a researcher, he did not take courses, other master students took.
If there are people studying at the famous design universities, please tell me it is possible somebody, who does not have bachelor degree, has a master degree after one year staying at your school without taking courses?

Hi, I am from north america (western canada) and have studied ID in Sweden for several years (Lund University, Ingvar Kamprad DesignCentrum). To any one who is genuinely interested in design of any kind, Sweden is a fantastic place to study. People whining about the cold or “the lack of smiling faces” have obviously had a crappy day and need some sleep.

If anyone has any real questions about being a foreigner living in Sweden, don’t hesitate to email me at danger.thompson@gmail.com. I’ll help out however I can.

To make a long story short, the bachelors programs are mostly in Swedish, and unless you are from another Nordic nation (norway, denmark, finland) you will not only need to speak swedish, but will likely need to take time off from your design studies to study Swedish fulltime. I had to leave my design school and study swedish for 1.5 years!!!

However, if you already have your bachelors degree, there are more options, as several schools have a 1 or 2 year masters degree that is often an ‘international masters’, meaning the course is in english, and you do not have to meet the language requirements that the bachelors course has.

So to reply to Gooddesign’s comments about a “1 year masters”, it is one year extra ON TOP OF your previous bachelors degree. And because in Sweden (for Swedish citizens) there is no tuition charges, there are MANY people to compete with!!!

Anyhoo, I’ve probably posted this info somewhere else before, so sorry for any re-readers. Let me know if I can be any help to anyone.

For the record, I am a Canadian who has been living in Sweden since 2002. My dad is from England so I have dual-citizenship, that was my ‘back door into the EU’. In 2 months I’ll have Swedish citizenship as well. Yup, triple citizenship. Imagine how fun it is going through airport immigration lines with me…“pick a passport, I have plenty”

-James Thompson
//Black Badger Advanced Composites
Lund, Sweden