UHHHHHHMMMMMMM? *shrugs shoulders*

please let us discuss this, maybe I didnt get the memo, but why is any of this “cool”, “looking towards the future” or even…“worthy”

*I did not drink the hateraide today, I just want to know how any of this is really relevant, as in, I am not impressed, as in, is this good design or just a flashy video about a bunch of flashy junk doing flashy things?

**one more midnight thought. Remember that Apple commercial from a few years back and two people are at a party and instead of giving out a phone number the girl gives out an email address and the ad points out the impending significance of the @ symbol? No? Just sayin’

*** not a crazed apple fanboy by the way, good products but the wheel is also made by a few other manufacturers

I don’t think this is about the products, it’s about envisioning future user interactions between computers.

I think it’s interesting - and it’s very similar to what a lot of these tech companies (MS, Intel) do. We do a lot of this brainstorming and storyboarding in house, but never make flashy videos out of it.

This kind of tells a story of what upcoming technology like e-ink, RFID, and more powerful handheld computing could mean for people.

I think it’s all fairly interesting, even though in reailty it would mostly be used for browing Youtube videos of monkeys farting.

I think it is very relavant and pretty cool. With the way technology evolves every day, some of these ideas are not too far fetched.

Just like in the cartoons from the 1950’s and 60’s, they all talked about what life will be like in the year 2000 when everyone would be flying in cars and everything you could every imagine or know would be accessible at the touch of a button. Well, at the time, it all seemed impossible but alot of these ideas that were not too far off.

Although the chances of ALL of this happening is not very high, the likelihood of some of it coming out is pretty good.

The day that designers stop envisioning these types of products is the day that design is dead.

I think it’s step in the right direction for Microsoft. Look at the apple products, their product design is simple, elegant, but very simple. What really shines is the interface. The scroll wheel, widgets, their toolbar, and even their shortcuts make interaction fast, intuitive, and a little fun. Hopefully if microsoft makes this happen it won’t be riddled with adware.

I think it is a great little concept movie. I’m not sure if Microsoft will be bringing us that future, but someone will.

To the OP, I think being skeptical about technology promoted with the “Wow” factor is a good idea. IMO, there’s way too many products which don’t serve a real need/want well. Often times it’s technology in search of a solution, rather than the other way around.

Perhaps a little closer down the spectrum towards reality, here’s a TED lecture about a concept using gestural interfaces, Minority Report type “displays”, etc.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html

Kind of sad though how MS Labs is kind of like Bell Labs used to be–a lot of interesting research, but productizing these ideas hasn’t really been their strong suit.

slick movie. Outdated or short sighted technology implementations.

I always have same response to these futurist publications.

All technology is stupendously expensive to produce. As such, only technologies that have high probability of commercial success will make it into devices we can buy or give/receive as gifts. Everything else will be thrown into a plastic bin in some R&D lab.

For some time now several common issues have plagued all technology development. Device communication, interoperability: too much is proprietary or too complex and mediocre performance has become normal state of acceptance. Display and power technology embodiments are some specific technology bottle necks generating much research, speculation and hype.

This Microsoft video plays off the device communication and power issue. As such, it is rooted in todays issues.

However, these future devices will become to us what cell phones are now to todays seniors.

Have you seen what MIT showed at TED this year? - http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html

Not far off from a lot of this stuff in the Microsoft video using existing technology, coming to a price of $300! Rough round the edges sure, but very impressive.