Typical for Senior ID to do Class A 3D?

I know that almost all companies require IDers to be proficient in a 3D package.

In your estimations, how important is it for an experienced, senior IDer to be proficient to the point of creating watertight, manufacturable solids/surfaces, not just 3D images for presentation? Are designs passed on to Solidworks experts overseas or inhouse to further refine chosen concepts?

Are not more experienced Senior IDers more called upon for concept development, project management and just use the 3D program in a quick way to illustrate the concept?

I know every company is different, just trying to get a pulse of what is going on with this aspect of the job.

That isn’t necessarily what is typically referred to as Class-A, but if asking is it ytpical to define 3D that can be used for manufacturing, then yes it is probably fairly common in most fields at anything above an entry level position.

In my position you are expected to be able to hand off production quality surfaces that can be used by engineering. If the company has more of a “Throw it over the wall” approach, IE you just hand off some 2D drawings and 3D renderings and the engineer builds all the 3D then that’s not required, but every company will have a different workflow.

The good news is if you know how to generate concepts in 3D already, the manufacturing aspect of it is fairly easy to learn with mentoring on what not to do. “No, your 100 span surface is not OK for production”

Every work place is different. I’ve always worked with ME’s or design engineers on the ID team who would tighten everything, but that is not reflective of the industry as a whole.

As a one man independant IDer, I’ve always prided myself on being able to do the whole ID process and not have to rely on a CAD jockey to misinterpret my design intent.

The more you can control the more the final results will be what you want and less back and forth art directing.

There are many kinds of situations and designers. Some can do it all, others can’t and their time is probably better spent managing or directing or handlig the business issues. If you aren’t good or fast enough to do it all then sure, have someone better at it do it. The goal is the end result.

I kind of like to work on all facets of my game. This is like a basketball player who is good at scoring but sucks at freethrows so he works to improve his freethrows. I hate having a big achilles heel or a noticable hole in my game.
When I didn’t know CAD I was at the mercy of a snot nosed CAD jockey who I practically had to beg and treat nicey nicey just to get him to edit someting.

I have found that most independant consultants/freelancers have to be big on skill sets to survive, they are usually the ones who have to hit the ground running and deliver on a dime whereas many in house corporates have other people to do certain tasks and are specialized. Just the nature of the respective games they’re in.

Independants have to keep the knives sharp and constantly update skills to keep afloat to trump the competition and remain relevant to the clients. We indepenants usually don’t have the luxury or budget to support having a team of secondary experts at our disposal. To survive for over a decade consulting means you have to really stay hungry enough mentally to not get complacent about expanding/evolving/updating skill sets. We constantly have to be diligent about not turning into a dinosaur. Sadly I see a lot of my schoolmates who went corporate for decades end up far behind in skills when they got laid off after 10-15 years in some corporation. It’s like a caged animal suddenly having to look for food in the wild.