TWO POSITIONS OPEN: DESIGN INTERNS WANTED

TWO POSITIONS OPEN: DESIGN INTERNS WANTED

Orange22, an award winning design studio is looking for energetic design interns wanting to gain experience in furniture design and retail space design.
We are growing fast and need your help.
Orange22 believes in learning through action. Our qualified interns get real world experience through on the job training.
Due to the increasingly high demands for internships here at Orange22 we have created a program for interns that helps further their education with real world design demands and responsibilities. The small and intimate studio environment is high paced, demanding and highly educational.

Please note that our internships are non-paid.

Some of the many responsibilities include:
-Retail space design from concept to completion.
-Onsite visits, client meetings.
-Concept boards, material boards, material sourcing, library stocking and organization.
-3D modeling, renderings, graphic layouts, meeting notes, 1/4 scale model building.
-Fabrication management, bidding, contractor site visits, construction site visits.
-Event planning, sales, and marketing.
-Contact management, emailing, filing, general office management.
-Furniture design, construction drawings, manufacture visits.
-Building full size mock ups and test pieces.
-Graphic design, press kits layouts, copy development, press follow ups.
-Attending trade shows where Orange22 introduces new product.
-Everything else under the sun.

INTERNSHIP REQUIREMNTS
Must be well versed in 3D modeling and rendering.

Skill Requirements: (1-2 years)
3D modeling
CAD drafting / fabrication drawings
3D animation a PLUS

Software requirements:
3D studio max, or
Alias, or
Solid Works, or
Form Z (preferred)
AutoCad or equivalent
Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop

If this sounds like an experience you are interested in, and you agree with our internship terms, then please send the following information:

-Resume
-Start and end date of the internship (min 4 months)
-Language’s spoken
-What are your strengths / weaknesses
-Computer software experience
-3d modeling / rendering experience
-Technical drawing experience
-Model building experience
-What you love / hate about design
-What you expect from the internship
-5 samples of your work in a multi-page .PDF format (examples of renderings)

If you have any questions please contact me via. Email.
Thank you and best of luck !!

Warm regards,

Dario Antonioni
founder
www.orange22.com
dantonioni@orange22.com

Regards,

Dario Antonioni
founder

orange22
furniture.environments.graphics

125 W. 4th Street / Suite 102 / Los Angeles CA 90013
213.972.9922 main
213.972.9923 fax
www.orange22.com

LEGAL NOTE: All drawings and written material appearing herein constitute original and unpublished work of the designer and may not be duplicated, used or disclosed without written consent of the designer. Copyrights©Orange22 / 2004.

WOW, non-paid internship, and you didn’t want to spend the money on a core advetisement either…

nice work though, I like the flight 001 store, I can never get out of there without bying a half dozen things I don’t need.

Great work!

Can anyone say: EXPLOITATION!!!

The days of working for free as an intern are over. At the least, there is such a thing as minimum wage.

I would caution against deals like this. On the other hand, the terms are stated upfront so you know what you are going into from the getgo.

Just looking out for my peeps.

plus they expect to find someone with 1-2 years of experience-

wow, I only hope they pick me, as downtrodden as I am

Last time i checked, there wasn’t exactly a glut of design jobs, let alone internships. Experience like this (has the potential to be) is priceless. Though some compensation would be good, think of it as resume fodder that sets you apart from your jobless peers.

I have often wondered how different my career may have been different if i didn’t have 2 solid years of design experience when i graduated college.

think of the position as an investment in your future.

Last time i checked, there wasn’t exactly a glut of design jobs, let alone internships.

Not true. There are pleanty of opportunities if you look outside of NYC/Boston/SF.

is this why i have received 3 calls in the last 10 days from students looking for internships?

Ya, experience is great, but there is in my opinion no reason to not be paid for your time. People after all do have to live, the price of design school is high enough without having to take out more loans so you can aquire experience. Interns are cheap labor as is, I don’t see why they need to be free labor.

who is this Dario IDIOT?? what a complete and utter AHOLE.

LOOK at ALL the CRAP he requires, like its some high end, PRESTIGIOUS, executive level position… kiss my A!

what a cheap ass bastard. FIRST he SCREWWWWS the whole site, CORE77, but posting a job on the DISCUSSION FORUMS, to not spend a few bucks, then requires blood work and FREAKIN ESSAYS for a FREE internship. ALL OF 4 MONTHS.

read over the skills and requirements he wants to know, i bet the sucker poor kid who gets swindled to go to this unscrupulous half-bit firm wont even utilize or learn one item on that laughable list in those 4 months.

god have mercy on this joke firm.

looks like this ol’ discussion board triggered some action on Orange22’s part…

Not only did they decide to post on Coroflot, but it looks like the internships are paid, if I’m reading it correctly.

I share the same basic view that most of you have conveyed, though I would like to say that this example with Orange22 just brings to light how MANY companies operate. I tend to believe that if you’re charging a client for work, but you’re not paying ALL of the people working on the project, then you’re really exploiting your workforce. I understand it’s a learning experience, but companies don’t have to worry about healthcare & 401K’s for these interns. There’s almost no overhead associated with having them around the office. Why can’t they spring for the $10-20/hr that it would take to make the experience a bit more legit. More often than not, the same interns are being billed out at $50-150 per hour, depending on the size of the firm and nature of the work. From an business standpoint I can see the temptation. That’s a pretty great business model. FREE interns translate into greater profit margins…

MARK FAVERMANN graphic design in Boston has been exploiting design students for years.

There are hoards of rumors and stories about his sketchy unscrupulous business practices.

He also only hires female mass art students. Free work. And his “office” is in his private home I heard… I guess when his wife is away.

Hey does “Salma Hayeks” bro still work there?
I love how you guys used to include that tid-bit in your promo material
yeesh :unamused:

if he does, and he’s willing to introduce me, sign me up!

Never trust a company that does not pay for work.
I would personally be ashamed, and moreover you cant push people to work hard If you are not paying. (I mean, you shouldnt be able)

I don’t think I have the right to comment but it seems that they want someone to pump CAD more than anything else.

what it really comes down to is: will he find somebody desperate enough to play office monkey for free? Yes he will, it’s not the first time I (we) see it happen. It’s probably not ethical, but that’s another story

I might be interested, can I have lunch break?

[quote=“guest”]Great work!

The days of working for free as an intern are over. At the least, there is such a thing as minimum wage.

I would caution against deals like this. On the other hand, the terms are stated upfront so you know what you are going into from the getgo.

Just looking out for my peeps.[/quote][quote][/quote]

[quote=“designmann”][quote=“guest”]Great work!

Just looking out for my peeps.[/quote][quote][/quote][/quote][b]

The message suggesting that Favermann Design exploited its interns is a lot of BS.
Favermann allowed interns the flexibility to schedule work elsewhere while getting valuable real world
experience in the design studio. All interns were/are undergraduates who bring little or no professional experience or background to the studio. Since the firm is multidimensional, over the past 26 years, architectural students, industrial design students and graphic design students have all been interns. As the studio is locatred in an old carriage house, i guess some idiot would interpret this as the living quarters of Mark Favermann–wrong again Bozo. It is a damn shame that morons can slander someone who has given generously to the profession for more than a quarter of a century. Who is looking over this forum?[/b]

FavermaNN (as in DesignmaNN) himself!

What an honor! But I think it’s a little pretensious to refer to yourself in the third person. Did you find this thread by shamelessly googling yourself?

So painfully obvious its you, with such bloodthirsty desire to defend the subject and with such detailed information…26 years, carriage house, adamantly pointing out “multidimensional” (only he himself or someone who has a stake in the profits would), etc. Either way, welcome to the forums Mr. Favermann!

So how much do you pay your Mass Art interns?
Please be honest.

p.s. one more question, (also an honest answer please),

When you hire 4-5 free (female only) interns to work for you for FREE every semester, what is more important, PERSONALLY? you getting 4-5 college chicks to work for FREE or those poor design children of the world getting the best actual design experience from such a generous benefactor? Please…

I’m sure the satisfaction of helping the design students of the world unfathomably outweighs the petty thought of getting free work for… a “multidementional” design “firm.”

(“Who is looking over this forum?” was an added cute touch)