Transformers and Maya

Was the Transformers made with Maya? I noticed several images that indicated that it was but wondered what other found on the web.

ILM has always been very close with Alias, so I’m sure quite a bit of it was done in Maya. Likewise, I know they have some proprietary software that they also use, so I’m sure there were a whole bunch of packages involved in the workflow.

Isn’t this kind of like asking if a car you see on the street uses Shell or BP gasoline?

The end product of most 3D software these days is almost universal. You can do the same thing with Max as you can with Maya for the most part. Its how you get to that product, via the user interface of the particular 3D package, that makes the different packages stand out. It may be easier in Maya to do something than in Max and vice versa but, whether it was done with Alias, Autodesk, Softimage, or any other package, there is no way to tell.

I use BP most of the time.

ILM uses Maya, mental ray, PRMan, Shake, Inferno, Flame, and other proprietary tools, among others. Likely all linked together by Zeno, their in-house pipeline that sounds amazing and that I wish I could see in action.

Poser beats them all though. :sunglasses:

I wonder if ILM can’t get what they need from off-the shelf software, or they just like optimizing tools to their preferred way of working. I can’t imagine how much energy they’ve spent writing software. Are they that much ahead of the rest of us, or are they just optimizing?

I’d be interested to see how some of the physics were created in that movie. That was the most impressive aspect of the effects for me. The inertia in Bonecrusher’s minesweeper appendage as he lunged toward Optimus Prime in the highway scene blew me away. Perfect.

I’m sure with that much money backing them they’ve got a software development staff nearly as big as their art staff.

Keep in mind that when you say “you can do the same things with Max as Maya” you’re only thinking from the art side. Sure you can model things, render, animate, and make them all look nice. But one crucial feature that Maya has that everyone else lacks is their own full fledged programming language. I’m sure a large amount of their animations and effects are generated entirely via MEL scripts, which can become incredibly complex.

I totally agree with what you’re saying. My point was that if you saw two exact scenes side by side it would be difficult (if even possible) to tell the difference.

I’m sure a place like ILM has everything you can possibly imagine (and some you probably can’t) in order to get the desired effect.