touching up on skills

i’ve been to school for design and am in the design world and realizing how i need some help in photoshop, as far as creating dynamic effects, ect. we pretty much were taught the basics in school. i want to take a class to get back on track, any suggestions of classes other people have taken in Chicago, is there any certain company or groups anyone knows of that offers good classes?

I’ve heard it said that the purpose of school is to teach us to teach ourselves. Check out your local Barnes and Noble for books on Photoshop techniques. You’ll be surprised at what you can find on your own. Be sure to check out magazines like Digital Creative Arts and Computer Arts Projects. Classes are fine, but explore and learn on your own as well. Classes simply made me aware of what’s out there, but the real learning happens on my own. There are also Photoshop web and cd tutorials available online.

Ya that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice.

There are a ton of Scott Kelby books on CS & CS2 out now. If you really want to make the most out of your money, become a member of the NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals.) With it comes a subscription to their magazine, Photoshop User, which is basically monthly installments on any teach-yourself book.

Always ahead of the game and up to date, I can’t say enough good things about the association. Plus a lot of online resources and tutorials updated with each new issue of the magazine.

I’ve been a member for 2 years.

Check out www.cgtalk.com
It’s answers to all digital artwork.

http://www.designstudiopress.com/dvds/index.html

I am a big fan of video tutorials since I am a very visual person. A picture is worth a thousand words and a video is worth a thousand sentences. :smiley:

-This guy is an excellent source for photoshop video tutorials. He has a step by step instruction on every tool in photoshop and then he has a couple CD’s on creating cool effects.

-This website also has some good video tutorials

www.lynda.com

:sunglasses: