Top Design schools in Europe

hey guys,

karim here - wanting to change the world (haha!).

can any of you help me in charting the top 3 design schools in europe. i mean let’s get realistic - let’s set parameters like:

1. theory
  2. design skills building
  3. technology
  4. connection with industry
  5. job placement
  6. reputation

i think this is a fair enough way to start.

thanks!

have to play ball now, c ya!

it depends on which area of design, if you are considering industrial design or product design or 3d design, and care design in one institution for example.

lets say general Industrial Design

check out:
Les Ateliers / ENSCI in Paris, France

tiny little openminded school
more based in theory and abstract concept
wonderful projects and curriculum setup
very student-run and motivating environment
connection to many firms and other schools in europe

i went there for a year last year. i’m an industrial designer from
carnegie mellon university but ended up there doing micro-architecture/macro-product, soundart and design, film, silkscreening, ethnographic research, typography…

great piama!

is the language of instruction english or french? or both? do they have a master’s degree?
thanks!

Hey piama - How was it to get accepted over there, too?

it depends on which area of design, if you are considering industrial design or product design or 3d design, and care design in one institution for example.

hey piama!
are you happy from cmu? i’m planning to go there to study industrial design…

my vote goes to the Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam - Holland if it concerns graphic design, see http://wdka.hro.nl/
Why? you’ll be educated with a vision, your own vision. Through doing a lot of research, you can make connections that will lead you to new insights, which makes totally sense because it’s based on data. So you can come further than the traditional, the already existing designs.
And this is (according to me) the sense of art schools, to create a new, refreshing group of designers/artist that reflect the spirit of time.

I attended Kunsthochschule Berlin-Weissensee (http://www.kh-berlin.de/) as a Canadian for the summer semester in 2005. The school is small but an excellent level of models and inteliigent transportation design comes out of here. The great student:professor ratio makes for an intimate learning experience the I will never forget. Check out the site and, if you can, the Open House held every July - super!