to ID or not to ID

Hey guys first time poster here in a bit of a dilemma. For a while now I thought that industrial design is what I want to do, but I’ve come to realize it’s the art side of ID that I love. It’s the sketching and styling that I really like and everything else feels kinda secondary. I’ll be applying to colleges in a couple months and I guess I’m just wondering if enjoying the superficial part of design is enough reason to study ID? Not that I’m deterred by the other aspects of design, I just haven’t payed them the same attention yet. How did you guys know industrial design was for you?

I think you should look into “entertainment design”/concept design-art

Just a basic description from the Art Center website.

I think you should look at some of the works of Scott Robertson, Syd Mead, and Daniel Simon to also get a better understanding of some of the work the can be done with industrial design type backgrounds, but not having too much need to think about total practicality and more focusing on capturing an audiences attention.

I think most people who start ID feel that way, if they even know about “the other” aspects beside styling. You’re ahead just by knowing there’s more to it.
I say go for it and carve out your own path and passion during school. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if your passion changes along the way - sure did for me. And then again during professional life. And will again and again.

Thanks for the replys guys. yeah im a big fan of the guys you mentioned and i really like the possibility of working in both ID and entertainment. im gonna go ahead and apply and see what happens. thanks again for the encouragement

I came at design from a love of sketching. I thought about entertainment design but for me I wanted to make real things. Aesthetics are not superfiscial. The function of form is one of the key things a designer understands. Do some internet searching around the concept of emetics applied to design. Form theory is an interesting rabbit hole.

I wrote a short piece on my stance on it here:
http://michaelditullo.com/Design/PHILOSOPHY.html

I’ll leave you with a few quotes from our industry’s founders:

Between two products equall in price, function, and quality, the one with the more attractive exterior will win - Raymond Loewy

Who would say that pleasure is not useful - Charles Eames

One professor put it that there’s three basic types of design students: the engineers, the visualists, and the practicalists. Fortunately, you don’t usually fly solo, so there’s many kinds of people in the team.

Even though I tend to think mostly the practical and engineering sides, sketching and visuals are probably the most important skill for a designer IMO - I think when people meet a designer, they expect him to be good in visualizing things. That’s why I’m working hard on my sketching skills right now. You need to be able to give that ‘wow’ feeling to clients, and that’s hard to do without good concept images.