Tips on rendering plywood in Flamingo?

I’m working on a design made of plywood with exposed edges so you can see all of the plys. Any tips on the best way to go about rendering this? I imagine I’d just create a “striped” image in photoshop and apply it as a decal onto the surfaces. Any other thoughts?

Also, are there any good resources you could suggest for nice woodgrain images? I’ve Googled for images with mixed results.

Anyone who’s used Flamingo knows how bad the built-in woodgrain images are…

Thanks!

I usually jsut type in googel, wood swatch, or wood samples, and jsut do an image seach, usually you can find a company who puts swatches of their materials. I guess the best thing to do would be to jsut take a picture of exactly what type of wood you want to use. Go to a lumber yard or a home depot and jsut take a couple close up pics, then make you own material in flamingo. Thats what I just did for a specific wood grain, i actaully found a sample at ikea that i took a pic of. Another good place to look is on plastic laminating places that make a wood grain looking lamanent, they all have samples on their sites.

Try Googling “lemog 3D textures” I think his website is lemog.free.fr, anyway he has tons of fantastic textures of all types.
The striped image will work for the edges, maybe apply them as a decal on the sides.

• Rob -

Thanks for the tip! That site is excellent. For anyone else looking for free textures, here’s a link:

http://lemog.free.fr/lemog_v5/index.php?cat=4

Just an FYI to anyone that’s interested, I wound up using a Maple pattern from the site linked to above ^^^ and made a Decal from an image of plywood I found online for the edges. The results came out pretty good… here’s an example:

Now I need to work on that cork pad… it doesn’t look so hot…

Years ago I rendered some plywood stuff with exposed edges in Alias Studio using some of their solid proceedural textures. The wood surface would look like dated CG today but it was interesting in that I was able to adust the repeat settings of the solid projection so that it created ply’s on the exposed edges. Nice in that I could use 3 shaders in total for the entire model, each shader creating “plys” along a different axis (x,y,z). It wouldn’t work very well for bent or formed plywod but it might be less work if you were after mostly flat panels.