time spent in college

Honestly, it sounds like engineering is more for you than ID because

1. Engineering is going to involve the whole building/taking things apart interest.
  2. It doesn’t sound like you’ve taken to drawing very much, mostly just doodling.
  3. The whole global thing doesn’t specifically point at ID, you can do anything anywhere.

So really, in your reasons you’ve got about two for engineering and really nothing that points to ID.

If this is really what you want to do, you shouldn’t wait till you are in school to start doing it. There are plenty of resources that can get you started on ID. My advice is that you should stop asking these questions and just DO something because you are never going to know if this is right for you if you just keep asking questions. Practice sketching, learn perspective, learn the basics of design, learn how to use a 3d modeling program (Blender is FREE). Just start doing something.

ok- I didn’t read all the replies- but I think I got the gyst of it all…

I first went to ‘college’, got a degree in Anthropology, played lacrosse, and ultimate frisbee, volleyball, sailed, scuba’d, rock climbed and failed about five classes drank too much, hooked up a lot and had a generally really good time. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

My ID school experience was totally different. I worked my ass off and spent way more time in studio working than the 8am to 10pm mentioned here. But I did it because I had the absolute belief that it was the right thing to do and that it was what I wanted. My first time around, I f’d around because I really didn’t know what I wanted.

I had some good friends in my class who were 19yo and wanting both. Simply put, their work wasn’t as good as it could have been- and maybe thats ok. But I think the difference is you can slide through econ., and lit class hung over but you’d be hard pressed to bring the goods in ID if you treat it like its just normal college…so my big take home point is that if you want to do it at 80% you probably can, but it wont be as good as if you are totally committed. The good news is that grades don’t matter too much as grad school isn’t necessary. The bad news is that its not about grades, but about your creative output and your execution. You can’t fake these. Trying to slack and just show up- you will fail, or at least you should.

As far as whether you are right for it- I think only time and experience will tell you if you are going to be good at it, or if its right for you. try it. Be ok with not liking it, or whatever, and have an alternate plan. I changed my major three times in college and tried a bunch of different things…and it’s worked out ok.

and Cyberdemon is pretty much right on. everything s/he wrote was right on. Oh, yeah, and again like a lot of others said- TIME MANAGMENT might be as important as everything else combined. Know thy self and what you are capable of doing on deadline.

now- make a decision. good or bad and push it until it shouldn’t be pushed any further- you’ll know when. And when that happens make another decision and repeat.

Okay, so I totally see where you’re coming from, and I’m not going to give you shit for having doubts.

I’m a fourth year in Cinci, and I am completely willing to admit that although I love design and wouldn’t trade it for the world, it is pretty freaking intense and by now I’m getting slightly burnt out. Every once in a while, I look at people in other majors and wonder why the hell I’m busting my ass (especially here - stuff outside of DAAP at UC is nothing to scream about).

I’m also writing this during a critique (that I should be paying more attention to) after an all nighter and 5 hours of sleep the previous night. Sucked, but it was also really, really fun. I cried from laughing more than once last night. Hanging out in studio is more entertaining - and depending on your class, more inebriating - than any lame frat party you could go to. I promise you that unless your particular class is uptight and boring, you will have a ton of fun. It all depends on how you look at it - my ability to deal with the stress and the schedule has developed over the past few years.

Kind of depends on how motivated you are. I have a decent amount of friends outside of DAAP, although most other people I’ve met haven’t been nearly as interesting. I go out to parties pretty much every weekend. I’m not a model student, but I’ve gotten some sweet internships and it’s all good. I work 20 hours a week at a restaurant, so I guess if you really wanted to you could get into some extracurriculars.

Co-op is also rad for taking a breather. Make some money and have the option of going home at night and not giving a rat’s ass about design.

Fun professors, too - we’re all going out for sushi with our professor after class :slight_smile:

Use your best judgment, if you have any more specific Cincinnati questions lemme know.

I think theres a balance in the whole time spent:quality ratio.

I know plenty of people who were in studio 24/7, pulled all nighters all the time, couldn’t funciton without 3 cups of coffee, and I think at some point they failed to realize they weren’t being PRODUCTIVE when they were trying to work completely exhausted. And then to make it even worse they’d be falling asleep during their reviews so they wouldn’t be able to present their work or be receptive to feedback.

People need sleep. So why stay up till 4am on a Saturday night when your friends are out partying when you could just as easily work till 8:00, go out and unwind for a few hours, get a good night sleep, and then spend all of Sunday in studio finishing that project up for your Monday review.

Sometimes I find that being in studio alone (since everyone else is out partying) would be bad too. You’d have no one to bounce ideas off of, get feedback from, and if you hit a wall you wind up being stuck for 3 hours and then crank out an idea that is based on insomnia delusions.

Everyone has their own ways to work in life. You gotta know when it’s worth killing yourself over that photoshop rendering and know when “hey, I think a pen sketch gets this across just fine, I’m gonna move on”. Bottom line is when your 4 or 5 years are up, you’re gonna put together a portfolio and a lot of that might not even make it.

Work hard…just don’t work so hard that you wind up being bitter and jealous over your friends who get to go out and enjoy college. You only get to live it once. :laughing:

I would say tinygreenstapler hit it perfectly how I felt my 3rd year of school, and cyberdemon hit it with how I look back on what went right, and what went wrong.

kiefer, just jump into the pool man. The water’s fine.

it IS all about time management::: I toured in a band, worked part time and was a full time ID student The first 3 years of college. Senior year was the time when I had to lock myself away in the studio never to see the light of day… but, it was 100% enjoyable. If you can live off of little sleep for four years and manage your time well, you can do anything.

Remember this… “school comes first!” You can party all you want after you graduate. You don’t want to be one of those guys who ‘half asses’ it through college, can’t graduate and has to go back to Starbucks with four years of student loans to pay back!

Good luck!,
GURU

I like to think that I “Three-quarter assed” it through college. :laughing:

Could I have busted my ass harder? Absolutely. And there are some classes I wish I took, some classes I wish I WENT to, and some classes I wish I never had to take in the first place because they were totally useless.

But it’s very easy to keep on top of yourself during your 4 years to know how you were going. If you can’t land those internships, don’t go to portfolio reviews or regional IDSA conferences, don’t bother putting up a website, etc, then you’ll fall behind the curve.

BUT if you learn to balance your work with your fun you can have your cake and eat it too. It’s balancing that last 20% of the work that will make or break you. You HAVE to put the first 80% in just to get your degree.

i just want to say this really quick: i was the same way, but when i moved to the city to go to school, I was out of control. binge drinking, drug doing, sex having, they were all there, I was always partying and I was doing awful at school. Failing classes, passing out in class, bad stuff. Then I got hit by a bus on my bicycle and everything changed, it put my whole life into perspective. I thought about the “friends” i had made at school and realized the only people i hung out with were the wrong kind. So I started spending time in the shop, working on my perspectives, learning new things and lo and behold I made friends alot of really awesome ones and I started going to their parties and hanging out with them outside of school and it was awesome. I wish I could have known all this before but I feel like its karmic for me to tell someone else.
you have to live eat sleep dream and drink being an industrial designer to be successful. being around people who are in it to win it and who you can bounce ideas off of are the best thing you can do for yourself, it will make you such a good designer. this is not an easy field and it could get really challenging at some points, you’re going to have to open up and make friends with like minded people.

and yes ID parties are ALWAYS the best parties, and ID chicks are def the hottest chicks, you have nothing to worry about.

Wow getting hit by a bus! That is one hell of a story. Sorry to hear that, hope everything is okay.

And I agree…IDers do know how to throw a party. Go to an IDSA conference and you will see see that. My wife, who works in HR, went with me to national conference in San Fran and she said that she had never had more fun with so many different people. She was amazed.

Haha we’ll I’ll definately agree on the designers know how to throw a party bit. There were definately someMy personal stance is that Interior design girls are actually the hottest, but we’re all “ID” so it’s OK.

I was a bit in the same way as you tayrn: I was kind of a social outcast so I hung out with a bunch of random people for a while and while some of them are still my good friends a lot of them were just kind of idiots. As I got closer to my friends in studio I made some really good relationships and to this day we still meet up and get a beer or six every now and again. :laughing: It’s nice to have someone who you can bitch to about Comic Sans usage and they know exactly what you’re talking about.

My father had cancer during and then passed away after first semester in college, so I was in a pretty bad way myself. A little too much substance abuse and a little too much caring about the rest of my life. Wound up getting thrown out of school for 2 semesters. But after all of that it puts things in perspective like you say. After another 2 years of school I was still lazy and unmotivated till my professors gave me a crappy grade on a project I won an award on. Motivated me to get my ass in gear and prove everyone wrong.

Turned out I wound up being the first and one of the few people in my graduating class to actually land a legit product design job. It’s always interesting looking back and realizing the times you’re the most pissed off wind up being the times that shape who you are forever. I finally got the chance to thank my professors for that verbal beating a few months ago. :laughing:

There were definately someMy personal stance is that Interior design girls are actually the hottest, but we’re all “ID” so it’s OK.

I couldn’t agree more! I married one!

Hell yes we are :slight_smile: haha…and if not the hottest, at least we’re way more fun than those fashion girls.

And I think it’s all about remembering that the shitty times will always pass. Just do what you can while you can, and when it’s done go out and have a good time. I think freakouts are basically inevitable in college in general, common in design. Just surround yourself with people who won’t put up with the bullshit. I live with 3 of my studio mates, and we’re close enough to tell each other when we’re being total assholes or idiots. It helps a lot.

ID is demanding and yes, I would say it’s competitive, but if it’s good atmosphere you and your classmates with help each other out and try to share ideas. ID is about your ability to create the best possible solution, and often your classmates can help you think of things you never thought. In the real world it’s all about teamwork anyways. This sharing and collaboration is where a lot of the socialization can come into play but that doesn’t mean we don’t talk about dating and movies and whatever else there is to discuss.

Will you have a social life? on weekends most certainly, maybe one of two weekends a quarter you’ll be busting your balls to get stuff done for Monday but if you know how to schedule your time accordingly you should be fine.

I recently graduated from Cincinnati, and while the program was intense, and you spend a lot of time socializing with your classmates, I can say that they will most likely become your closest friends.

I think we can all agree it’s important to know where your passion lies. 5 years is a long time for a bachelors, but I think there are a few misconceptions regarding college. Don’t get me wrong, you should be having fun, but part of that enjoyment should come from what you are learning. You’re finally out of high school and you have to opportunity to study anything you want to study and really focus in depth on it, this should be something you get excited about- for some it’s literature and others biology. I have friends who get visibly excited and have an emotional connection to create and plan for the future- they want to sit around a table and wildly discuss things that could exist-- all the “what ifs”, they get excited about new innovative materials, sketching, and new software.

If you don’t think you can get excited about it, maybe it’s not for you, because if you make it through 5 years all you may be left with is a portfolio of work that you can’t sell because you’re not excited about what you did and learned.

College isn’t generally like the movie… but on Saturday night when you’re all in studio together before a big crit, you’re probably going to have a few beers and get rowdy. And after the crit, as always rocks the boat.

Plus design chicks in general tend to be attractive so that should be the least of your worries.