Thoughts on Hulger

first enjoyed the podcast core – nice

a few thoughts on Hulger interview / design “philosophy”
(not making fun of Hulger here, just the word philosophy shouldn’t be attached to the word design)

-Original philosophy of Hulger was to dig up the Dreyfus handset and attach it to a cell phone - good design?

-Hulger only improves after purchase while other tech devalues – I get the point for the most part, BUT USB and Bluetooth are two technologies that these devices lifeline depends on – clock is ticking

-And what is the deal with Europeans using leather and snake skin on high tech products (nokia and vertu) , its gross, its like a high tech burrito – is this good design? And did I hear the word ECO dropped in this interview.

-Anyway, overall the user emotional attachment to a phone is one important part of design – however, user ergonomics, needs, useage, price etc. will drive the millions of people that buy phones every year to buy a phone with caller id, a phone book, and not feel like your holding an american-size burrito in your hand.

How about your 2cents?

-Anyway, overall the user emotional attachment to a phone is one important part of design – however, user ergonomics, needs, useage, price etc. will drive the millions of people that buy phones every year to buy a phone with caller id, a phone book, and not feel like your holding an american-size burrito in your hand.

Yup. I think the Hulger line of wares is a one trick pony, albeit a nice one. Cynical, artistic, clever. They certainly seem to be milking it for all it’s worth. Some day, I’ll sell “picture tubes” that people can hook up to their laptops to use instead of sterile LCDs.

They would likely be OLED’S, retro keeps comming back most often worse than when it was “new”. People crave things that are different, and as most things are based somewhat on fashion that differnce in retrospect can be damn silly.