"this area just isn't for us".

I took a job out of state about 2.5 years ago. My wife & I relocated about 6 hours from home sweet home (the Midwest). I gave myself a personal commitment of 3 years no matter what. I love the job, it’s a good little recovering company with some big clients and huge potential. The problem is, after 2.5 years, my wife & I still can’t frickin’ stand it down here.

Would it be appropriate to tell a future employer, whether it’s back home, east or west coast, “this area just isn’t for us”?[/b]

Would it be appropriate to tell a future employer, whether it’s back home, east or west coast, “this area just isn’t for us”?

I assume you mean this in the context of an interview situation? As in, “So tell me why you want to leave your current position.”

If that’s the case, I’d think it’s perfectly acceptable to use this line. In fact, I’ve used it before. I would think that most employers understand the ‘quality of life’ aspect, and the fact that if you’re not happy in your home life and your geographic surroundings, your work life will suffer in return.

Get out now. Quality of life is everything, with 2.5 years experience you should be able to find work in a more lucrative location. Be honest with your employer, pack up, and leave. Life is way to short my friend.

Sacrificing your life is not worth it…

I have seen similar situations as yours ruin marriages, etc…

Don’t even think about it… do what you need to do to get out for you and your family.

I would not bring it up at all anywhere… just do what you need to do to get where you want to be with the job you want.