thinking of moving to California

Now we all know about the high cost of living in the GoldenState. As well its known that Cali has the most innovative ID firms around. My question is do ID firms in SoCAL and Bay Area take into account the higher cost of living when offering you the salary? anyone had any experience with that? I’ve been avoiding applying to Cali firms simply because of the higher cost of living. :neutral_face:

Seriously, Apply first… then you can think about that when you are invited for an interview. Thoughts like that should never hold you back from your ambitions.

How much should I ask for if I plan on applying for consultancy/corporate with 3 yrs experience?

60-75k

just as i thought. now, will they actually pay you that much? remember i only have 3 yrs exp. also is there a disparity between LA area versus Bay Area in terms of salary? i’m thinking of living in OC area and PaloAlto respectively.

(DISCLAIMIER**This comment is purely speculative, so take it with a grain of salt.) It seems to me that alot of the big name, west coast firms tend to think they’re doing you a favor by hiring you. I would tend to think they pay on the low end of the pay scale. But, do your research and ask what you think is fair based on your experience and talent.

Good luck

If you don’t make at least $60K you can’t survive in Northern California. Living in Palo Alto isn’t cheap. That is a very expensive area.

you may want to consider your actions carefully.

california is real and it’s nice, but it isn’t real nice.

Can you elaborate on that a little more?

I need to weigh in here before it gets out of hand.

though not currently living in Bay Area I say it IS possible to live well and happy there.

Buying a house in a single income not in the six figures is probably impossible. That said, I have lived there nearly my entire life on far less -FAR LESS- then 60k and done fine. To work in Palo Alto is not to necessarily live in Palo Alto. Live in areas surrounding and pay less. The scenarios are endless. Some better than others. But please don’t take glib posts about the impossible costs of Bay Area as the only truth.

As I am finding out, not living in the Bay area now, that is unlike any other place- and in most ways (imo) the best place I have ever been. If it is the experience of living there that you want-decide to make it work and it will. This may be annoying to some, but at some point, lifestyle is measured beyond $$, what you can buy and what you own. The Bay area in particular will lead you to that conclusion- for better or for worse. best of luck

california is real and it’s nice, but it isn’t real nice.

I’m jaded by my age. I’m also not a Calfornia native (anyone remember the “Calfiornia Native” bumperstickers?) I moved out here in 1978, and have watched with amazement the burgeoning population, deterioration of infrastructure, lack of support for schools and teachers, the raiding of cities and counties tax monies to try and balance the state’s out-of-control spending, etc.

The Legislature is at loggerheads so consistently that referenum votes presented to the population actually determine a lot state policies; only to be overturned by the courts … and there doesn’t seem to be any change in sight.

Maybe this is too deep of a topic for “younger” designers just starting out their careers, but if you intend to make CA your home (not just where you work) these may be things to discuss and consider.

Then again, when I moved out here, it was a dream realized.

Come on out, you can become jaded later.

oh man- Prop 13

First to worst in seconds flat.