There are designers and then there are DESIGNERS...

This is really frustrating me. :imp:

People in the engineering department where I work who have 2 year degrees and are nothing more than drafters get a “Designer” title.

No wonder we don’t get any respect in the corporate world - people liberally use our job title for other, less qualified people! :unamused:

try proving to your peers how you are different. Otherwise, you are just a fool who spent 2 extra years in school for something you didn’t need to. To most you are a felt tip fairy…

???

People understand what I do where I work as a Senior IDer.

I was simply making a general observation about a trend taking place. I see the same thing on job postings on Monster.com

Don’t forget the fact than the trend in many 2 yr Drafting programs is to change the name from CAD Drafting certificate to Industrial Design Certificate. Just interviewed 3 “canidates” for a mid-level design position. Man were they confussed when I asked to see their portfolio not their cad work, especially when I told them “we rarely work in CAD…that is what out engineering partners are for!”

I learned I can not rely on the companies recuiter to weed out aplicants anymore.

ny, this is not a new “trend” at all, HR depts and employment agencies have always been either too ignorant or too lazy to bother checking what drafters do for a living vs designers. Most unfair is that engineering drafters take on the “designer” label to boost their saleability by giving themselves off as creatives. Some can be (in a limited engineering sort of way) but most should stick to their technician or drafting titles for an accurate picture of their contribution.

Not much you can or should do about it. And jumping up and down sketches in hand won’t win you admirers. Enough smart people in industry do know the difference and need you for exactly what you are with no further explanations. That said, if you apply for jobs that spec drafting or “mechanical designer” (another hybrid jack-of-all-trades title), you should clearly point out the extra benefits you bring on as an industrial designer trained as such. It’s still bewildering the number of firms out there, both large and small, totally clueless about what design can do for them. They still yearn for the “draftsman” (always a man) of decades ago, a powerful memory deeply imprinted in popular industrial culture to this day.