The tuition scares me

i heard that the tuition fee of ACCD is about $15000 per term and there are 3 terms a year!
What an enormous sum of money it is!! :open_mouth:
I want to know if University of Cincinatti is a public school.?
Which design school is cheaper than ACCD?

ACCD and RISD are pretty much the most expensive.

Pratt and Cleveland Institute of Art are both cheaper.

At ACCD I think you don’t have to take 3 terms in a year, but maybe an alumni can clarify that?

The University of Cincinnati is a public school (and I go there), so it is much cheaper compared to other ID schools. Some other good, less expensive ID schools would be Virginia Tech and RIT.

and for art center:
(from wikipedia)

Art Center offers programs year-round with three terms per year. While undergraduates can obtain a four-year Bachelor degree in about 2 years and 8 months (8 terms total), most students take a term off for independent study, part-time “lite” terms, or to complete industry internships, lengthening their stay to 3+ years. The accelerated learning environment stems from the college’s trade school roots. Administrators and faculty want to develop “real world” work scenarios as much as possible, in which there are no summer vacations.

Most good design school is private,University of Cincinnati is public,My teacher said that most department of design in public schools are not intend to train students to be a professional designer, they just do that for improving the aesthetic judgment among the students.```I am confused

by the way.It seems living in NYC(Pratt locates there) is not as safe as living in other cities~,right?
haha,I just was told NYC is a little bit “dangerous” :confused:

Safety is relative. It’s true that Pratt is not in one of the best neighborhoods, but much of NYC is pretty safe nowadays… maybe not compared to Cincinnati, but in general pretty safe.

Well, I know at UC, they are pretty good at training designers… mostly through sending them off to work instead of attending school straight for 5 years- after your sophomore year, you go on paid internships every other quarter, so wherever you work helps you grow as a designer in addition to the school. Look at coroflot for portfolios of schools you’re considering- and you will see what kind of work you can anticipate creating by the time you graduate.

:slight_smile:
Got it~ Thanks~~

For the record, Cincinnati is far more dangerous than NYC. I grew up in Cincinnati and now live in NYC.

And I believe University of Cincinnati has a stronger program than PRATT. I havent been in a few years but when I look at portfolios generally the UC students have better work.

Agreed.

You’ll be fine at Pratt. I went there back in the late 90’s/early 2000 and it was very safe. The neighborhood may not be safe but many of the locals knew us and didn’t bother us. Each program is different so you’ll need to pay attention. I’ve reviewed Georgia Tech’s program and noted that it was more technical based, whereas Pratt was focused more on process and aesthetics.

The neighborhood around Pratt has changed quite a bit since the '90s, it has become a very nice (and expensive)

I’m not sure if this will help but UC is actually located in sort of a rough area of town as well so I’m not sure the difference in safety between the schools will be that dramatically different.
Watch yourself and don’t do stupid things.

The interesting/sad thing that will be immediately apparent if you visit Cincinnati is how quickly the neighborhoods transition from bleak and dangerous to comfortable and relatively safe. After traveling 2 blocks it can look like you’re in a different city.

Last year I lived a little south of campus because I had a 150 pound dog to take care of and not many places accept dogs the size of livestock, this year no dog, and I was able to move to the “Gaslight District” which is a little north of campus (15min walk) and it’s a totally different world. Less renters, more owners, nice restuarants, a nice park nearby, a yoga place, a movie theater that plays a lot of foreign/art films, coffee shops, etc. Sure it’s not downtown New York but it’s actually quite nice.

Yes there is a lot of crime around the UC area, I get the emails everytime one happens, but a lot of them happen south of campus and it’s usually towards a lone male who’s walking alone late at night. This year I haven’t seen one robbery in the area I’m in but probably 30 or so in the area 6 blocks south.

choto:
Thanks for the picture. Different mood than I expected. Do you have more you could sent me?

Hey drae,
I don’t have any other pictures personally. The one I posted was some google image find, there are some on flickr though, just search ludlow ave. cincinnati, or gaslight district cincinnati

Ludlow

Or if you’re really interested you could even go on Google maps, search Ludlow Ave. Cincinnati, and do the street view. If you go down ludlow and take a right on Clifton you can walk all the way up to DAAP! It’s a pretty safe walk because it’s a busy street, I usual walk on the side opposite the park, in case there’s anyone hiding in the bushes! Haha, jk… kinda.

Picture quality is a little grainy but you get the idea. Again, it’s not an amazing area compared to a lot of places but I think some people might get the impression that all of the UC area is a dump which is far from the truth.

WHAT!? This is a ridiculous statement to me, I know plenty of very good and very successful professional designers from both public and private schools.

Another thought, Cincy is not only cheaper in terms of tuition, but the cost of living in Cincinnati is about as low as you can get in a city anywhere near its size (ie WAY cheaper than Brooklyn)

What’s the weather like in Cincy? How cold/snowy are the winters?

Yes, for perspective go to any cost of living comparison site.
http://www.bestplaces.net/col/
I think Detroit is the only big city that I compared that was cheaper.

$50,000 in Cincinnati is the equivalent to $80,000 in Seattle and ~100K in San Fran and LA. Granted I say these things and have no plans to stay in Cincinnati once I graduate!

Same as most of the midwest, pretty crappy, dark, no sun, and that was one of the reasons why I chose to co-op in the Winter-Summer cycle. This will change in 2013 when they convert to semesters. Weather is important but the last thing you’re going to care about when you graduate was whether you had great weather for the last 4-5 years.