the status of designer

Hello ,I’m a chinese student . I saw a speech video , the boss of a training institution was giving a speech to the students, he said , ‘’ I have some designers , they can do PS vrey well, but their poster is ugly , so I employed a graduates of Tsinghua university .and the salary is much high then others .But the graduates can’t do PS very well . now I prefer the former designer,cause they can work out what I want faster and better.‘’ attention to the last sentences he said . what the designer do is just do what the boss said.
One of my teacher said , the reason she come here and to be a teacher was that her first job,the client draw schetches to her. and they don’t want whatever her have done ,they only want what they designed by themselves.
Art and design was not like other subjects, every one is a designer. Indeed , designer have a low social status. when my high school classmates ask me what is my majoy in university and i said industry design . they said design is just change the things to beauty , and it is nothing to study
Is it the same in USA or other country?

Sadly, I’ve found that many in the corporate world don’t quite understand what industrial design actually is. They think that it is our job to “pretty things up.” That’s obviously not the case to anyone on this board.

The really successful companies see industrial design as a huge asset to how they sell their portfolio of products.

somebody said design can change the world and believe it , maybe we should reconsider ourselves , design was not that great. even though B&O and Apple prove the value and important of design
everyone was a designer . and maybe we are not that needed , if the client have time or enjoy it, he will design herself. they sketch, then we rendering . Do the phenomenon exist in USA too?

Like any profession it is what you make of it. Going to school for design doesn’t guarantee that you will become the designer that you want to be, you will. People that use PS to fulfill a request are not designers, designers solve problems, if the customer’s problem is that they need someone to visualize their ideas in PS then they don’t need a designer, they need an illustrator.

Mastering all of the design software will make you no more a designer than mastering carpentry tools will make you an architect.

So, considering that you want to do more than what you’re told, but be respected as a design professional that can solve problems and add value, then you need to find ways to explain your ideas verbally and visually. You need to learn to do research and show it to your customer/boss. You can always do what you’re told, but you can also design things the way that you think they should be and present them as well.

Everyone may have ideas, but if they do not have the skills and experience to communicate them and solve problems then they are certainly not designers.

As far as 6ix’s comments, he’s right we are typically cast as people who draw the “pretty pictures”, usually people are ignorant to the idea that those pictures are the result of communicating the solution to a problem. If I wanted to draw pretty pictures for a living I would have become an artist.

I could’t agree with you two any more. but the social status of designer is still not change. People still doesn’t respect our work.

I think there are two different social status. When I tell people I’m a designer, I think people are impressed. No one knows what I do exactly and ask me a bunch of questions and seem genuinely interested and impressed by what I do. I would say that the social status of designers is quite high, but perhaps the professional respect is more varied.

If you say that you are not a designer but you have designed a successful product and tell everyone about this, then you’ll have a high status. But don’t mention that you work as a designer, call yourself an engineer or something :wink:

Not sure what you guys are talking about. People seem to love it in my experience. The engineers at the party are the ones that get no respect so yo just do math then right"… the term designer is always a conversation starter. People love it. Months later I’ll get a random email from someone I met with a bunch more follow up questions after they’ve thought about it more.

I think you can talk about anything and get respect though. The first step is having respect for yourself and passion for what you do. People sense that and reflect it back. It starts with you.

Like any profession it is what you make of it. Going to school for design doesn’t guarantee that you will become the designer that you want to be, you will. People that use PS to fulfill a request are not designers, designers solve problems, if the customer’s problem is that they need someone to visualize their ideas in PS then they don’t need a designer, they need an illustrator.

A couple of points:

• Sometimes you just gotta do the work in front of you to pay the bills - even if it’s just glorified (or not) illustration.

• Personally I enjoy getting occasional projects where it’s all about making the “pretty picture”. The art of pure rendering can be quite fun every once in a while - but maybe thats just me.

• As far as how esteemed the term “designer” is I think is relative to your audience. I know plenty of engineering / accounting personality types that couldn’t care any less about creativity. On the other hand, I know plenty of writers and artists who think quite highly of the design profession. Exceptions to the rule do exist of course…

I get the sense that “more” here is talking about inter-disciplinary respect or intra-organizational respect, and that is also true. In many non-agency corporate design settings it can be a major pain in the ass. People of different disciplines need to respect each others’ “truf” to a degree, but oftentimes instead of collaborating and cross-blending of backgrounds what happens is companies segment themselves into “departments” or “silos” that follow their own agendas, this however, is a higher level management issue, and if it is going on, they aren’t doing their jobs.

Specifically I find that engineers have the least amount of respect for our profession and find that we get in the way or don’t add any real value, marketing on the other hand usually sees only the value of our bankable illustration skills and tries to bind it to their (quite often) cockamamie ideas.

(Comments above may or may not reflect my current place of work)

Yes , Greenman understand what I want to say . Maybe my English isn’t so good that I can’t express myself exactly. A designer told me a story . Their engineers say my work is harder than you designers . We should get paid much than you. you just draw pictures. But I have to solver a big engineering problems.I can do ideas and pictures too. I don’t think my ideas is worse than yours. my style is much more beautiful than yours . but you designers can’t do engineering. I can do what you can do ,but you can’t do what I can do. Maybe ,ineed, it’s the battle between art and technology. The judge is your boss. If the designer’s salary is higher , art win here.
My high school classmates said ,I choose Bioengineering because no one knows what you are researching. thinking about the Relativity. very few people understand it. They don’t understand it ,so they honor you . But if I choose arts, everybody can say something about it. The right or wrong in art is relativity, but in technology is absolutely.

In a field full of subjective decisions, the experienced, confident expert wins. Your value is that often these subjective decisions are the difference between a good and a bad product, and those technical engineers are horrible at applying those kinds of subjective problems through logical filters. Anyone can learn math at a high level, relatively few people can under broader more philosophical problems as related to products and visually communicate solutions in an expert way.