The Nook, product release Fail

Nook isn’t yet in Canada…I don’t even know if I’ve ever seen a B&N in Canada for that matter. Ironically, the Nook’s OS was designed by a Vancouver based company.

I do have to say, though, that I bought a Kindle a couple weeks back. I am a 100% convert to the eBook format. I still don’t believe paper books will go away, but after only a couple weeks, I do see them becoming the exception, not the rule.

Ditto. I picked up a friends Kindle a few weeks ago, and loved it.

What you are guys using your iPads for then?

Don’t own one.

Coaster on my coffee table (I kid, I kid…)

Just saw this on Wired.

Nook Color ~$250

Whats that thing on the corner? So you can hang it from your lanyard walking through the student union?

Impressively smooth looking in the Gizmodo video.

IP: Check this, the new Nook is to be available at Wal-Marde, Best Buy and some other places. Maybe we’ll see it in Canada.

The new Nook is based on Google Android. This is the benefit of not locking yourself down like Apple. Now, I expect other people to find new uses for this hardware. $250 is cheap!

Curious about the positioning of the Color, though. Seems to be positioned against iPad now, not Kindle.

The e-Ink is definitely the better solution for long term readabilty, IMO.

I think it fills the right ‘nook’ in the market. 2x the price of a wifi Kindle, half the price of a wifi iPad. I’d upgrade just to get Time and SI in color.

Regardless of what people think of the Nookcolor, I think this is a big win for consumers. Apple will feel some pressure, at least on the price point, but may be even with its features and/or book selection.

My gut feeling with the Kindle (knowing people who have worked on it), Amazon is still going to push with E Ink because of its battery life advantage and lower price.

Good point, for now. I was thinking back the other day about the buying a cell phone when the first color screens came out. The biggest gripe was battery life, but now 8+ years later, can you find a non-color screen cell phone?

I think it will press Apple a bit but its certainly no iPad killer.

This thread has started to remind me of some of the hype graphs we posted. Right now, as a consumer, I’m confused. Do I get the long bat. life and easy readability of the Kindle, the versatility and cool factor of an iPad or something in between like the NOOK? I can’t wait to see who wins!

BTW, don’t forget Sony, Kobo (http://koboereader.com/) and probably another 2-3 other also-rans. Who knows, maybe one of them can hit a home run too?

Go wash your mouth out for even mentioning Kobo…that thing is a useless piece of crap.

I disagree, the quilted back really does it for me*

*I’ve never used a kobo and this is sarcasm

Yes, first you have to find a Borders Books in your area before you can try a Kobo, not an easy thing to do.

Kobo is carried by Chapters-Indigo, the only large book seller in Canada.

BTW, saw my first Kindle in nature…in Spain of all places.

What is the odd little car in the background?

Not a car, a van. Opel Vivaro delivery van with some big logo painted on the side.