the little things...

Sometimes it’s the little things like the positioning of a shut line… top is production, bottom is a quick photoshop. I think the decision to have the hood be a clamshell interrupts the surface development around the wheel arches and makes the hood look very short… I also would have deleted those little plastic brows over the corner vents and left enough whitespace on the bumper strike surface for a license plate, but that’s just me :slight_smile:

In your version, you are still missing a part line between the bumper cover and the fender. So it’s going to be awkward no matter what. Looks like they took the easy-to-manufacture way out. For those that it offends - buy the black version.

sure, I didn’t sketch in a bumper part line… but how would it be easier to manufacture? Same number of parts and now you have an alignment issue with the wheel well. My wife had a second gen mini with a similar shut line and after a few years the alignment got wonky, and in that case the hood was intersecting with a nice fat trim piece before it hit the wheel well.

Seems like Dodge figured it out 10 years ago :slight_smile:

The dodge still has the split line between front bumper and the front wing.

I’ve never liked this design for bringing the bonnet surface round to the wheel arch, its a bastard to align. We do it on jaguars around the front lights

+1

Regardless of panel breaks, the Dart was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this Mercedes concept…though I misremembered it as a Stratus.

“I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!”

Note, I wasn’t advocating for no panel break between the bumper skin and quarter, I just left it out to highlight the hood shut line… the second image I posted shows it…

buuuut, as a point of reference, this old BMW X5 shows that you can do it in one piece. They are using the plastic trim as the panel split point… same could be done here under the license plate… not that I would advocate for that as it makes any fewer bender pretty expensive. Just to show it has been done.

The original point being, the location of the production shit lines looks awkward and makes the car appear stubbier while I assume increasing the cost to manufacture the hood and causing some potential alignment issues.

that is why I used it as an example.

shit lines :smiley: was that deliberate? :wink:

The front fender of that X5 was plastic. So, it can be done but never repairable. Automobiles are full of shit lines.
image_24b61425-7680-4ea2-ac88-8b0bb0307c81_590x.png