The industrial Design process?

Hello everyone. I graduated college about a year ago and have been working in Commercial VFX since then. Im thinking about making the change to ID. I have done some freelance design but i know im lacking in showing my process in coming up with designs.

So this is my question. how do you go about showing that process? is there some sort of standard way that employers look for?

Here is my website. There are some renders of different designs, and some sketches but no nuts to soup ideas. (as you can see i like 3d :smiley:)

Thanks everyone

-Mike

I’d work on sketching, your end results look really nice. And the presentation of them is good. You might be able to get a ID cadjocky job then work from there. Maybe take some classes and really focus to get everything out of them.

Well i can understand about sketching. I dont mind sketching but i will say its easier and usally faster for me to work in 3d. So what is the point of the process if the end result is good?

Im just lost about this, never learned it.

any help is greatly appreciated

You’d have to be pretty fast in 3d to communicate a complex idea that way vs a sketch. A sketch can communicate a complex system f ideas in 15 minutes (and that is making it pretty)… not so in 3d.

These are 2 excellent examples of showing process:
by Timothy Lamb:

http://www.lambiam.com/modeshoe.htm

http://www.lambiam.com/modestore.htm

A result of a good process is the production of a good product (or interface, or whatever else you were doing). Things that seem to blend seamlessly and work well, intuitively were well throughout from inception.

Think about something that you have used where you had to do some silly thing, even just pushing an extra button to do something. Maybe a remote to your car, it has small buttons, none are unique to the touch. You have to look at it to know which button to push. Now what if they gave the buttons different sizes, shapes, and textures? or got rid of the buttons and had the user shake, or wave the fob in a special way to activate it?

Nice website, you pretty much answered your own question - show nuts to soup ideas.

Take apart everything in your house but the stuff you can’t afford to loose and find out how its made, manufactured, assembled. Don’t just try and design things that look good (purely down to taste), design things that can be made. Nothing so humbling/worse than having someone look at your design and say ‘that’s great, love the look, but how would it be manufactured?’ and you don’t have a clue. This question is asked a lot at interviews.

Make real models, this may be a bit contentious and possibly old school, but I find computer modeling in 3d very restrictive in terms of exploring form, because designers usually create the shapes they know. Working in clay, foam, wood etc allows me to explore fit and feel much more thoroughly. The computer model won’t tell me if the handle is uncomfortable or too fat etc.

Show evidence of sketching as much as possible, because it allows you to think through ideas more thoroughly and there will be times when you won’t be near a computer and the only method of communication you have is a pencil, your voice and a bit of passion. Again employers like to see versatility, otherwise you get tied to your computer and not taken to client meetings.

A general process for portfolio, would follow: sketched ideas, models, developed sketches (more finished than sketches) and final design (rendering/model). You can’t present a finished design before the ideas. For your portfolio, its important to show the thought process, why did you decide to leave that button off? Why did you make that fatter? etc its how the idea evolved into a product (The famous picture of how man evolved from ape to today is a good example - starts off rough, comes out smooth). Don’t be afraid to show the mistakes you made as long as you show evidence that you learn’t from them and modified your design to accommodate what they taught you.

wonderful post! thank you so much that really did help me out.

Now i just need some inspiration!

I’m kinda in the same boat here as Mav.
Been doing video post production for quite a while and yet have been developing an increasing interest in working on product form/function/underlying mechanisms.
So, thank you for the informative posts here :slight_smile: